10

Now that the plan was actually being implemented, Scott was once again noticing how the plan was getting more and more nervous and excited from minute to minute. So it wasn't very helpful that Natasha played down Banner's remark about losing Scott in the fifties just to calm him down. A stupid joke, that's all it had been from Banner, but, who would buy that? Not one of the people here in the hall should know one hundred percent what to do, because it was all about time travel. And as Jyn had already asked yesterday if the plan was a joke, Banner could no longer deny the fact that this might be true or that none of it was a joke.

Attempt number one started with Scott being sent back a week, being allowed to walk around for an hour and coming back. It's very simple. Nothing wild. It was just something normal, everyday, or rather. An hour in the past was about ten seconds in the present. Accordingly, it didn't take long to determine whether time travel was possible or remained pure fiction.

To cheer him up that everything would go well, Rogers wished Scott good luck and how could it be otherwise, the words, you can do this Scott, followed. Wishing someone good luck had always been pure nonsense in Jyn's eyes, and the meaning behind it had never really opened up to her. Either you make it or you don't. The success of a thing was not so much in luck as in skill. On the other hand, from karma to fate, others might find it just as feeble-minded.

Of course, Scott would make it by his own admission, and in the next second, he was sucked into the nothingness felt by the machine, whereupon Banner began to count down from three, and at one, a child appeared before them.

"Uh... uh... People?", the boy began, visibly confused, looking at the four seeking help, "Here.... Something is wrong here."

"What's wrong now?", Rogers asked, looking at Banner, who began to press several buttons.

"What's going on here?", also questioned, Banner began to check all the lines and see if all the components were properly connected, "Just a moment."

"Is that Scott?" it came from Natasha before Jyn could ask the same question and turned to them.

"Yes, that's Scott." But the very next moment little Scott disappeared again.

"That was weird, to put it mildly", Jyn would have loved to take it back immediately or not let it happen at all, if she had suspected that when Scott appeared again immediately, he would be an old man.

But it didn't get any better, because as soon as the old man had disappeared again Scott appeared as a baby instead. If it had been up to Banner, Baby Scott would have stayed, as he was still growing, but Rogers wanted the real one back. Quickly Natasha went to the lever at the power supply on the wall to put it on Banner's words and fortunately, the right version Scott was back shortly after. Taken, a little confused and in a pissed suit, but it was Scott. Whether this was due to his baby self, grandpa self and yet the ego self, the thief did not know. Nevertheless, Banner was thrilled, leaving him, the only one who was happy about this so-called success.

It was no success. Not in any way. There would have been talk of success if Scott had been in the past but not like this.

✥.❖.✥

As no one had ever made a similar attempt, there was neither a comparable study nor references to which one could refer. Books and films, on the other hand, were plentiful. Whatever had happened to Scott in the quantum universe had nothing to do with time travel.

"How does it live like this as the head of a killer community", but as Jyn kept looking at the tablet with all the data in her hand and thoughtfully pulled her mouth from left to right, she didn't notice Tony's voice much at first, "Oh, I forgot. Traitor."

"Wow, that hits me hard. I don't know how I've been able to live with myself these last years either", Jyn joked in a sober tone of voice, put an arm around Tony's neck and then took the tablet down, "How are the two?"

"You would know if you had come to dinner on Saturday. As agreed", nevertheless and about this Jyn was extremely grateful that the billionaire hardly or not at all reproached her for this and for so many other things, even if it always sounded like that to outsiders, "Now we both stand together, once again and I wonder what your role in all this will be. You seem to see something in the words of your future no longer ex-husband, because the thing in your neck is new. So is the one on your wrist. Which I didn't see, and that horrible thing on your shoulder you've been wearing for a few years. This time, please stand with us to the end. We only get one shot at this. No sudden change of heart."

"The thing is, I'm going to continue on the path I believe to be the right one. My life, my decisions and the consequences of them are mine", Jyn said, "Every venture involves a risk factor. And in this case, I guess I am the risk. You know me better than any of them. Trust me or don't trust me, it's entirely up to you."

Especially since Jyn only had one mission anyway. No more, no less.