epilogue

six month later

On the dusty sandy soil of the steppe landscape of the reserve, Jyn sat in the middle of a twelve-headed pack of hyenas and took one of the younger ones into her lap as it passed by her body. These animals were much more than just the scavengers that everyone saw in them.

Similar to small dogs, these animals also liked to nibble on your fingers, ears or lick your face. Unlike dogs, these remained predators and their teeth were much sharper. To play with them was always connected with some caution.

After the spotted animal in her lap had bitten Jyn gently in the nose and then licked across her face, she pressed a kiss between her ears and hit her forehead against the animal's. No hypocrisy, no lies and no pretence. The reason why animals were more dear to Jyn than people.

"Well, there are holidays in Hogwarts?", Jyn sat the hyena on the ground next to her, smirking, wiping the earth off her scratched arms and finally her hands on her trousers, "What are you doing here? You've never been a big fan of the steppes, more of Cape Town."

"I've been told it's more beautiful", Stephen replied, watching Jyn playfully teasing the hyena as she tried to grab her hand, "Love at first sight, it looks like."

"With them anyway, only this one is special", it was more than that for Jyn, so she stood up, took the animal under her belly and gave it to Stephen in her arms, "Thirteen weeks old and I've been taking care of her ever since. Poachers cut off half of a rhino's snout because of the horn and bled to death, which attracted the hyenas. The pack came faster than they usually do and that's how they met the hunters. Once you have won them over and they have accepted you, they will not leave your side. but they can be the best thing that happens to you."

I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me, but it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once and it's too much. My heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst. And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it. And then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life. You have no idea what I'm talking about I'm sure, but don't worry, you will someday.

- American Beauty