29

A moment of joy, but Jyn only looked up to the sky where Thano's ship went up in flames, but it wasn't joy but a mixture of sadness and pity. This fight, one side may win, but when you look at it more closely, both sides lose. Losses, sacrifices, there can't be any talk of victory.

"What is it now?", Jyn asked after she had felt Stephen's gaze, because she did nothing but watch Thano's long lasting work and hard work break up in no time, "Are you or I a master of magic? I'm not capable of what you can.... oh, wait, don't die, I can."

"I don't even want to know what you've been wasting your time with for the last five years", and once again, Stephen made it sound as if Jyn hadn't done anything but go on vacation for the last few years, "The power of two gods and a powerful magical being, I don't believe it. You take abilities, give them to a mercenary and that's it. Did you ever think that you could possibly, more and instead of scratching the surface, go a little deeper? "May I ask what you've been doing for the past few years?"

"You should know. After all, you've seen the future. Millions of times", Jyn replied sugar sweetly, smiling, but that smile died because in the next moment a shock wave spread out, causing it to almost lose its balance and push back the mass of water that had been held back by Stephen until then, "Oh, you really don't know. I've made myself unpopular. Whatever else, okay? I couldn't watch the society that made my life possible fall apart just because HVT One is gone. This, this life, these skills, I never wanted it, but this is what I got. I try to make the best of it and it doesn't help when someone comes along, especially someone like you, who is a genius and never has a problem learning things because everything is incredibly easy for him, and then says I should deal more with what I was given. When you die and you get up again; you don't want to sleep because the things you see are already no longer called nightmares and a combination of cocaine, painkillers, sleeping pills as well as amphetamines, opioids and alcohol, a great cocktail by the way, which is the only thing that makes you sleep but which makes you lose control of your abilities, then, but only then, we can talk about this topic but not before. Nice talking to you, thanks."

"Offense has become the best form of defense for you. You could have had it so much easier in the last years if you wouldn't always take everything personally and hurt feelings that you wouldn't care as much as you want to make everyone believe", Stephen had hit it right on the point and made Jyn give him a disgruntled look, "When this is over, we'll have to talk, just like I assured you on Titan. The consequences of our actions Jyn."

At some point, it all comes back. The cycle of life. Life is an eternal circle we're in and sooner or later it comes back. Karma.

Thor, Rogers, or both together, neither of them stood a chance against Thanos. Just like the short-haired one, who initially looked like she could take on the Titan, but she didn't. With the power stone it was easy for Thanos to incapacitate them.

To understand the next thing, Jyn took much too long. Exhausted from the fight, Tony sat on the floor, breathing heavily as he watched Thanos put the purple stone back on the glove. And there it was. That moment, a look she didn't understand. Even when Stephen raised his hand, barely noticeably extending his finger upwards, it was still not clear to her.

"That's not true now. You only saved him so that he would sacrifice himself now", how was it possible, with that knowledge; to face the one whose death had to happen, without having a guilty conscience, "You are more cruel than I could ever be."

It was over. On Titan, Tony was not allowed to die, because now that he had a family and had come to rest, he was to die. If that wasn't cruel, neither was Jyn.