18

Si vis pacem, para bellum

An eternity that felt like hours, Rogers and Jyn stood on the street corner and watched the events in the sky from the ground. The screams and the destruction just didn't stop but it was just a question of patience and of course, time until Loki was defeated.

The outcome of the battle was known to everyone, at least for the most part. Most of them only learned about the nuclear missile that was fired at New York afterwards. In fact, there had been two missiles, but the first one never even got near the city. What happened to the second was known to everyone. Shortly before the city, Tony picked up the rocket, maneuvered it through the streets and brought it through the portal into space. Although Jyn knew that this would have a good end, she looked up at the enormous hole in the sky and waited for the red armor to appear in the sky again. Just seeing something or experiencing it directly were two completely different things. Another second passed, in which she almost stopped breathing after the light of the Tesseract opened and there was still no sign of Tony. Only when the portal was almost closed did something red, like an asteroid, crash from the sky towards Earth. So it was possible to make it exciting.

"You'll be okay?", Rogers asked, after a few more minutes which made Jyn raise an eyebrow and look at him uncomprehendingly, "With the people in the main entrance."

"You still don't seem to have the slightest idea who I actually am, can that be?", Jyn elegantly raised her hands and the next second, after a greenish glimmer, she stood in front of Rogers in her ten years younger version, "I think I can manage with a few government officials, especially since I now have the experience bonus called Loki."

"Is there anything else Tony didn't tell us about you?", how could Jyn know what Tony Rogers and the others had told them about her, "Are you psychic or mind reading?"

"My ex-husband is the one with the future", Jyn replied dryly, because she didn't really know if Rogers was joking or if it was a serious question, "I'm more into memories or letting someone see things and cynicism. May I now do my old job and check with Tony Stark about what happened?"

The object of desire was not the sceptre, which Jyn would have loved to have been the object of desire, but the tesseract. She would never have dreamed that the day would come when she would say that she was happy to stop working as a journalist and do something completely different. It had been her dream then, but not anymore.

༺═────────────═༻

As Jyn approached the Stark Tower she recognized a logo that she hadn't seen in this size since Washington. It was crawling with S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents. A secret organization that prints their logo on all vehicles and clothing. So how secret can such an organization be?

"Staff?", a voice sounded behind Jyn, which she hadn't been allowed to hear in that form for years, and just turned around slowly to see Brock with a group coming towards him, "What are you doing here? I thought you were going to Nevada."

"Oh, my God... ", at first Jyn just looked at her brother as if she saw a ghost in front of her, but then she put her arms around his neck and a hand on the back of his head, looking up and blinking, "You're okay... you're okay."

"Yes", Brock replied succinctly, because he was more than puzzled by Jyn's behavior, as if it were a miracle in her eyes that he was fine and she hadn't expected this, "What are you doing here?"

"I wonder what? Work", it was an attempt to simply cover it up and make it sound normal, no matter what this encounter with Jyn would do, "My flight was cancelled. What are you doing here?"

"Picking something up," and in the same breath Brock lifted a finger pointing at his sister before she could even bring it up, "No. I don't care who you are, no."

"What kind of a brother are you, please?", even though it hurt to say this, Jyn knew that if she had been here, she would really have said this to him back then, "New York was attacked, by aliens, and not only that, but it was also largely destroyed. I don't want to know how many people died and a few answers, it's not too much to ask, is it? What would you do if I was lying dead somewhere among the rubble right now? Hundreds of questions, but no answers. One or two short sentences, that's all it takes."

"I'll call you later, Staff. Sitwell is just coming", a short nod to the entrance of Brock followed, where a man with glasses and bald head and other members of the S.T.R.I.K.E.S., passed all S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents straight on, "It's all good, so you can stop looking at me as if I almost died. Come here."

"You can't imagine what this would do to me if you were to die because of something", better said, because in less than two years Brock would almost die in Washington and two more years later, Jyn will actually be pulled off the ground, "I only have you in case you forgot."

"As the saying goes. Si vis pacem, para bellum", after Brock gave Rollins a sign to wait a minute, he took Jyn in his arms one last time and gave her a kiss on the hairline, "No matter what comes, we'll stay a family, nothing will change that. Stop worrying Staff, especially since you're getting rid of me so fast anyway."

No matter where you are, a quarter mile away or halfway around the world. You'll always be with me. And you'll always be my brother.

If you want peace, prepare for war