26

Si vis pacem...

To call this a chaos would have been an understatement, because even chaos had an order, a structure, in its own form but there was one, but not here. This confounded glove and its infinity stones could be anywhere. Buried under all that rubble, squeezed between two or more boulders or sunk into the depths of the water.

In all my years of conquest, violence, killing, it was never anything personal. But I tell you what I intend to do with your stubborn, annoying little planet, I will enjoy it and I will enjoy it to the fullest.

How Thanos reacts to failure was known by the vast majority, most of whom were allowed to experience and feel it first hand. Jyn wasn't particularly eager for it, but she had no other choice but to return to the Titan and empty-handed. The only ray of hope was Loki, who had also failed one thing and yet was left alive. The god was dead only for one reason, because he had tried to kill the Titan behind his back.

Breathing heavily, Jyn drew the thin air in sharply, let her hand circle once and before she entered the portal, she blew the air out with a snort. Why did Nebula and Gamora have to appear? No, why did the ceiling between Clint, Gamora, Nebula and her have to collapse? One meter, two at the most, lay between her and the glove and the stones. Two nebulas, one of whom was now dead, and one Gamora, who was not dead. If the three hadn't shown up when Clint was about to give her the glove, she would have had it and wouldn't have had to worry.

More than discontented, Jyn stepped out of the portal in the sinking evening sky and stomped with slightly lowered head but without lowering her gaze up the hill to Thanos. She had written her own death sentence, because as so often, her mouth had once again been bigger than everything else.

Already from a distance Thanos could recognize and then see exactly how Jyn returned empty-handed. But the closer she came to the Titan, the less she looked into his eyes and more and more straight ahead to the arriving army.

Under the gaze of the Titan, who followed every single step of Jyn's steps, she stopped at the top to hear and accept the judgment of her failure and future fate, and returned his gaze with a mute apology. One blow, that's all it took with the huge sword. There was no reaction on his part, so she lowered her head or nodded slightly in gratitude for not being executed by him and for letting him live.

With closed eyes and shaky breath, because Jyn had long since prepared herself to lose her head, she went on and stood at a distance of one meter to Maw and the rest, the Black Order. At her back, an army consisting of hundreds of Chitauries, Leviathans and Outriders.

.... para bellum.