20

Bump

Bump. Set. Spike. Bump. Set. Spike.

My partner, Sky, and I repeat the same steps over and over again, comfortably until our coach would add an obstacle. The team is small, only consisting of ten people, both males and females. I had been extremely grateful to earn a position and I would train my hardest to continue to earn it.

"The minute you think it's gone. Bam. More sand in your mouth." Sky whispers as she walks past me after doing a digging drill. I wince just as I bend my knees and ready myself to do the same, listening for the crack of the ball before diving down low and popping the ball up just high enough for someone to hit. I wipe my mouth on my shoulder to remove most of the sand, standing up as our coach calls it for the day when she sees everyone dripping sweat and panting exhaustedly.

As tired as she must be, Sky somehow keeps her positive attitude, and I admire that about her. Not many people, no matter how much they love their sport, can be seen with a grin after practicing it for two hours. I find every practice gratifying, but they weren't always fun. Sky finds the fun in everything.

"What are you up to now?" I ask her as we walk back towards the showers. Sky shrugs.

"It's five-thirty so I'll go home, eat, practice, swim, eat, and go to sleep," She smiles and opens her locker. I look at her surprised and she just smiles and shrugs. "My parents want us to go to the Olympics as soon as possible. It's always been like that."

"Us? And what about classes? How do you have time for homework?" I ask curiously.

"My brother and I. And I'm only in one class and it's only so that I can be on the volleyball team. My parents and coaches thought it would be best to find a partner here so we moved. Greenville has always had the best team." She says shocking me.

"Wow. I had no idea. What class do you take?" I ask her, shocked at what I'm hearing.

"Introduction to Law. My homework doesn't take too long and it's mostly memorization. I just thought it would be interesting." She smiles and excuses herself to shower. I shake my head to myself as I think about what her life must be like. It must be amazing to have had such supportive parents, although the restricting schedule must feel similar to wearing a straightjacket.

I take my phone out of my locker and sit on the bench, typing Olympic Beach Volleyball Qualification into the search engine.

"I'm tired. Feed me," I say as I drape myself over the couch in the living room of the soccer house, where the residents are currently hanging out in. A few of them look over at me, but I was talking to Maddox so I pout when he ignores me.

"Maddie. Please?" I beg and he rolls his eyes before pausing the game, causing a cacophony of groans to fill the room. My face lights up.

"Shut the fuck up about it or I'll beat the shit out of all of you. Just take my controller." He growls and immediately the protests halt. I'm not surprised. Maddox is really scary when he's addressing anyone but me.

"Tsk tsk. That temper isn't making you any friends Maddie," I shake my head condescendingly and he rolls his eyes as he opens the fridge. I seat myself at the bar and wait with my head propped up on my hands.

"I told you not to call me that around people, Thompson." He says mockingly. I roll my eyes and nod.

"Fine fine, just feed me peasant," I smirk and he chuckles.

"One more insult out of your mouth and I'm leaving you to starve." He points at me before pulling out ingredients for sandwiches. I gesture zipping my lips closed and he prepares the food while trying to hide the smile on his face.

When he's finished, we carry our plates over to the room where the rest of the house seems to be. We sit together and watch them play FIFA while everyone around us yells at the tv, where little soccer players are running around.

I'm surprised to find that I'm interested in watching the game, and when I go to take a bite of my sandwich I notice someone behind the couch leaning up quickly. When I look back down, I see a big bite taken out of it. I gasp and turn around, only to see Luke cheekily leaning behind me and chewing my sandwich.

"You dick. Get your own sandwich!"

"No thanks. Yours tastes so much better than my hypothetical one," He says and I roll my eyes, eating it quickly before he can steal another bite. Meanwhile, Maddox holds onto his like his life depends on it, making Luke and I laugh. In between bites, I cheer on Reece who has one of the two controllers in his hands.

I look around the room every once in a while but don't find who I'm looking for, each time becoming more and more disappointed. Luke leans in closer. "He's at a meeting with the coaches. He should be back soon if you want to keep pretending to be here for Maddox," He says, each word getting louder and Maddox scoffs.

"As if she'd rather hang out with him than me. I could pick Chase up and throw him through a window." Maddox brags and I laugh.

"I'd love to see you try," Reece shouts without taking his eyes off of the game. Maddox glares at him and I bite my lips when he directs his eyes back to me. I hold my hands up in surrender but he doesn't accept, instead, stalking towards me like a panther before he pounces. His hands are all over me and drawing out loud laughter. I giggle and yell "stop" but he continues to tickle me, holding me down while I squirm and kick and shout.

Tears escape my eyes when it gets to be too much and finally, Maddox stops. I'm panting and lying on the couch with Maddox still leaning over me, the rest of the guys' attention going back to the tv now that the show is over.

"I'm gone for an hour and you're already trying to steal my girl?" I hear a familiar voice speak up from the entryway. Chase's accent is distinct and I sit up to look over the back of the couch, accidentally headbutting Maddox in my attempt. We both groan and clutch our heads as everyone who witnessed the event laughs at our pain.

"If I belonged to anyone, tickling and injuring me would not be the way to steal me from them," I groan.