Chapter 29

Irene

"Care to elaborate what really happened lovebug?"

Jungkook murmurs against my shoulder, softly peppering it with his soft kisses. We were in my bathtub, relaxing in each other's arms–—he prepared the bubble bath and joined me to make it up to me. I sighed, leaning on his chest and intertwined our fingers. Savor it while it lasts, Irene.

"I overheard them talk. Basically, Ae Yeon paid Dohyun to love me and like be my boyfriend. It felt so real, you know. I've been fooled for a year. It sucks." I sighed. "I thought he was the one honestly." what a lie.

There was no response. The room was filled with silence but I found his presence comforting. He squeezes my hand and pulls us out of the water–—wrapping a towel around me. He also grabbed one and covered himself with it. Afterwards, he smiles at me with no teeth showing and guides me out of the bathroom–—letting me sit on the edge of the bed.

I tugged on his towel.

"Nah-uh, no sexy time for tonight. Just relax." he waves his finger at me with a teasing smile and I pout.

"Please?" I gave him my best puppy eyes.

"No." Firmly, he replies.

Jungkook grabs a fresh towel from my cabinet, tossing it on my head—– covering my entire face—–and he, the little devil he is, bursts out laughing. I glared at him. This little piece of shit. He takes a set of pajamas out from my closet then smiles at me, grabbing the towel from my hands and gently dried my hair with it.

The gesture warmed my heart.

He helped me put on my pajamas and then placed a kiss on my forehead after he was done. Jungkook, why are you doing this to me? Why are you being so sweet? I feel like my heart is going to burst from all the buried feelings I have for you. It's getting so hard to keep it all in. What have you done to me?

My chain of thoughts were cut off when he started brushing my hair, sitting behind me and already fully clothed.

Thump. Thump.

Thump. Thump.

Thump. Thump.

"Do you want some ice cream? We can watch Netflix and cuddle." he says, kissing my shoulder. I only nod, too afraid to speak.

"Okay. I'll be right back. Make yourself comfortable and set up Netflix for me." he smiles, patting my head then went out.

I followed his instructions and made myself comfortable under the covers. I'm so confused now. Everything's happening so fast. I let out a deep sigh and hugged my pillow. He comes back with a smile on his face, holding a tub of ice cream and 2 spoons. He puts down the tub on the bed and slides in beside me, extending his arm and I looked at him.

"Come here. I'll be your safe space."

Fuck.

How did you get so mature, Jungkook?

My chest aches.

I was stunned. I'm seeing a better version of him and I can't help myself. I might be falling for him again. Snapping out of my trance, I let go of my pillow and scooted closer to him–—feeling his warmth radiate over me. He picks up the tub and the remote and pressed play. We're watching the popular The King: Eternal Monarch because Lee Minho and Woo Dohwan is bae. Let's be real about that.

As episode 1 progresses, we keep taking bites of ice cream and his other hand keeps on caressing my hair. I feel safe. I like this. It's very comforting.

"Why are you still helping me?" I suddenly blurted out the question I've been meaning to ask but was too afraid.

"Because it's you." he tucks a strand of hair behind my ear.

"I know I've been a douchebag ever since you came back and what I did back then was all wrong. I realized it. I was so immature. Now, I have the chance to make it up to you. I want to be the shoulder you can lean and cry on. I want to make you happy. Just one more time, I want to be here for you."

"It's you. It has been and will always be you, Irene."

Jungkook plants a sincere kiss on my forehead. He slowly takes my hand and intertwines our fingers, taking it close to his lips and softly pecks the back of my hand.

"It's okay if you don't trust me. I know I've broken your trust so many times but I hope you know, this time I will stay by your side. You don't have to like me or anything. I won't force you. I'll be here."

A tear slips out of my eye as I look at him and he softly wipes it away with his thumb.

"I don't want to see you cry over him anymore."

"Thank you, Jungkook." my words came out as a whisper and he smiles, nodding his head.

He pulls me closer to him and holds me tight.

"Ahh, my precious lovebug." he lets out deep breath and smiles again.

I think I still love this man.

I think I do.

––

A/N: WE LOVE SUM CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT JUNGKOOK! Hey everyone! How's your quarantine going? I hope ya'll staying safe and sound. ❤️

- queen