Chapter 7

Armani's Flashback
{Age 15}

I sat in the back seat staring out the window mindlessly while Leo and Elena sat next to me bickering back and forth.

We had just got done another function at the Gala and we all were exhausted. My father had just closed a deal with the Mexican Mafia and now we will be bringing in more profit.

My mother sat in the passenger seat silent. Earlier my father had gotten angry with her because of her "lack of manners" and hit her right in front of the guest which surely had to be embarrassing for her.

"Enough! Elena if you continue to mess with your brother I will pull over an make you get out and you will have to walk home." My father snapped.

"But he started it." Elena pouted.

"I don't want to hear it!" He yelled and that was final.

Elena sat back in her seat and fought back tears.

Father was always yelling at her. Most of the time she didn't do anything wrong. As long as he didn't put his hands on her in any way I didn't care.

I would never allow my father hurt Elena the way he hurts mother.

There has been countless times where Leo and I have tried to intervene and stop my father from hurting my mother. But she always begged us not to, she was so afraid he would turn on one of us and do much worse to us than he would her. So, we just had to stand by and watch as he abused our mother, it was hard, especially on Leo. He thought that since he was the oldest he should do something to protect us all. But there was no protecting us from father.

"Lorenzo stop. There's a car accident." My mother suddenly said.

"I'm not stopping." He said.

"There's a little girl for gods sake pull over!" My mom yelled.

My father looked angrily at my mother before he pulled off to the side of the rode.

In front of us was a car bent so out of shape it was unrecognizable. A girl that looked to be my age sat in the back seat with the window rolled down. She was waving her hands and screaming for help.

"Please help! My parents they're hurt!" She yelled.

We all immediately got out of the car.

Mother ran to the girl and tired to help her out but the door was jammed.

"You're going to have to climb out the window sweetie." My mother said in a calming voice.

The girl followed her instructions and climbed out the window slowly until she was safe in my mother's arm.

"You can go sit with the children. I'll call for help in the meanwhile I'll try to help get your parents out."

The girl walked over to us. Her face was full of tears and her curly black hair was a mess.

"What's your name?" Elena asked.

Of course.

"A-Amalia." The girl sniffled.

Without thinking I took Amalia into my arms it was clear that she needed comfort right now.

Without hesitation she leaned into me and broke down completely. I stroked her hair and rocked her back and forth while Leo and Elena watched.

We sat like this for about 15 minutes before the ambulance and cops came.

The ambulance declared Amalia's parents dead on impact and told her she was very lucky to have survived the accident.

Amalia face was pale and her big hazel eyes were red and puffy from all her crying. She seemed so emotionless.

Even in this state she was beautiful. I couldn't keep my eyes off of her for long. I stayed with her the whole time until eventually the cops took her away.

That night all I did was think about her and how she was doing.

I had my father run a check on her and once I got a hold of her records I became even more obsessed. She went into foster care after the accident which was saddening.

Every Sunday I would stop by the place and peep through a window to make sure she was alright.

She was depressed for months, years.

When we turned 18 Amalia left the foster care and I lost track of her. I always longed to see her beautiful face again.