1

The village was unnaturally quiet as Sen returned from the forest. The sun had long dipped below the sky, allowing the moon her nightly watch. She climbed to the roof of a building and raised her head to the vast night sky. The stars danced silently, just as they did every night, while Sen watched in awe.

I wonder if they get lonely up there? She thought. So beautiful and desolate, damned to dance in space forever.

She made her way home, slipping silently through the alleys of the Hyuga compound. Through the windows of her family home, she saw the clan elders' shadows as they gathered around the meeting table. Anxiety bubbled in her stomach at the sight; the only times she had seen the elders gather like that was before a battle. A continuation of the Warring States' turmoil was something that the Hyuga clan could not afford.

As Sen entered through the side door, she heard unfamiliar voices mixing with those of the Hyuga. Curious, she paused outside of the meeting room and listened in quietly.

"You see, the Senju and Uchiha have come to a peaceful resolution in order to end this war. The two clans wish to create a peaceful village where different clans can live together in harmony."

Her father's voice countered the stranger, "How do we know that the Uchiha and Senju will not betray their word? The Hyuga will not be serfs."

"Both Hashirama Senju and Madara Uchiha hold the Hyuga clan in the highest respect. You have their word to ensure that your people will be fairly treated. It is the greatest wish of both the Senju and Uchiha that the Hyuga clan consider this opportunity."

"Their word means nothing when they are not the ones delivering it."

Her ears were glued to the thin walls as the conversation continued. Sen knew if these clans wanted her father to consent, they should have known better than to send a messenger. Her father was a just and honorable man; however, he was also prudent and would not be swayed by words of praise and empty promises.

The clan leader shuffled a stack of papers before speaking again, "I will consider this offer for the sake of my clan; however, I wish to entertain both the Uchiha and Senju leaders before I come to a conclusion. We will discuss this further tomorrow."

The men around the table began dispersing at the end of her father's words. At this, Sen jumped from her reverie and quickly ran down the long hallway into her older brother's bedroom. She sat cross-legged on his bed and waited for him to come in. She knew that he would answer her questions without lecturing her for eavesdropping on the meeting.

Minutes later, Sora entered quietly, closing the door behind him. He didn't notice his sister, and damn near jumped out of his skin as she asked, "So, what do you think?"

"Sen!" he gasped. "When did you--?"

Sen grinned lopsidedly. "That wasn't my question, Sora!"

He shrugged and muttered, "Leave it to you to go sneaking around meetings. Didn't Father tell you to stop that?"

The young woman's delicate face twisted sourly as her brother scolded her. She snapped back, "If I wanted a scolding, I would've gone to Mizura." 

Sora laughed at her annoyance before sitting on the bed across from her and shaking his head. "I mean," he began uncertainly, "the Uchiha aren't the most levelheaded bunch and I admit, I don't know much about the Senju... but I think this is a key opportunity to establish peace within the Land of Fire."

Sen sighed and fell back into the pillows lined against the wall. "Do you think Father will consent?"

"If the Uchiha and Senju clan leaders come to visit, I think he'll be more inclined to accept their offer."

Sen hugged her knees into her chest and remained silent. She curled up in the corner of Sora's bed, nestled among the pillows as he sat at his desk and continued to work. As the night passed, her thoughts raced as the future of her clan hung delicately in the balance.

Here's to hoping you guys show up, Hashirama Senju and Madara Uchiha.

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇

I know this is Hanabi, but to reference what Sen's character looks like, imagine Hanabi with black hair

I know this is Hanabi, but to reference what Sen's character looks like, imagine Hanabi with black hair. :)