30

Mizura became the clan head after Lord Hyuga's death. Sen was uneasy at the prospect of her callous older brother leading the clan, but the decision had been made twenty-three years ago during the birth of the Hyuga twins. She cursed the gods for not allowing Sora to be born first.

He would make such a better leader than Mizura, she thought. Sora is honorable and has integrity. He cares about people's well-being and silently looks after everyone, all while keeping a warm smile on his face.

Mina had shared the same sentiments with Sen earlier. The girls had spent the day together cleaning both of their houses, having lunch at a new restaurant opened by a Hyuga family, and then returning to Sen's house to relax. They lounged around until Sen decided she was bored and went to search for a bottle of wine.

She returned to the living room with two bottles of red wine and slammed one down in front of Mina, proclaiming, "One for you, one for me."

Mina eyed the bottle tepidly and then wrinkled her nose. Sen groaned and popped open the cork of her own bottle and took a long swig before shrugging, "If you don't drink it I will."

"You can't drink two bottles of wine."

Sen laughed, "I'll regret it, but I can... And I will." She added the final words in a sing-song voice.

Mina opened the bottle in front of her, shaking her head and chuckling, "This is peer pressure."

Both girls shared a look before Sen rolled her eyes humorously and Mina broke into a laugh. This was the first time Sen had heard her sister's genuine laugh in years. It floated musically from her mouth and filled the room. Sen smiled and clinked her bottle against Mina's.

They were halfway finished with their bottles whenever the older sister began inquiring of the younger. Mina asked dreamily, "What's being in love like, Sen?"

Sen was quiet before quietly replying, "Being in love? I don't..." She paused because the words that were about to come from her mouth were a lie. Instead, her mind led itself to Madara. Her eyelids fluttered close while a suppressed smile graced her lips as she thought of him. She answered Mina, "It feels like the person you love is the only thing that makes sense in this world of uncertainties. Wanting to be at their side because it feels as natural as the air floating in and out of your lungs. It feels like the universe falls in your favor the moment you hear them say your name. Being in love makes sense in the most confusing way possible."

Mina processed Sen's words in silence. She then responded, "I don't want to marry Tobirama. I want my life to be spent with someone I love. I've come to realize that power means nothing without happiness." Mina's voice was filled with melancholy.

She's serious, Sen thought in amazement. I never thought I'd hear Mina say something like that.

"You should do what makes you happy, Mina."

Her sister's face was morose. She shook her head and spoke in a barely audible voice, "I'm not like you, Sen. I've never been like you."

Sen was confused. "What are you talking about?"

"You're gallant and self-reliant," Mina said softly. She twisted her short brown hair between her fingers and finished in a breathy voice, "I've always been so jealous of you. I want to be brave and make my own decisions. I want to be more like my little sister."

A look of clear shock was visible on the younger Hyuga woman's face. Her skin was void of color and her breathing had hitched in her throat. Her mind was blank, unable to think after Mina's revelation. Jealous.... Of me? Mina has always been the favorite child, groomed like a princess, catered to hand and foot. She could have asked for anything and it would have been granted without question. Why would she ever want to be like me? I was always constantly in trouble and causing mischief with Sora.

Then, realization hit her. She asked carefully, "Mina, have you spent your entire life pleasing everyone else?"

"I just wanted to do what I thought was best for our people. Every decision I made, whether I liked it or not, was for the sake of the Hyuga clan. I could never be you, so I strived to be everything you wouldn't be in order to make Mother and Father proud. But now..." she paused, her face setting in stone. "I want to make decisions for myself."

"You deserve that, Mina," Sen confirmed. "You deserve to be happy and loved. Those are the things that make life worth living."

Wet tears soaked Mina's eyes while she sniffled and nodded before throwing her arms around her sister. Sen hugged Mina back, rubbing her back as she drunkenly cried into her little sister's shoulder.

Poor Mina. All of the years and I thought she was only putting her desire for power first, when in reality she was doing what she thought was best for the clan. Come to think of it, has she ever made a decision based on her own will? Sen asked herself as she racked her brain for a time that Mina had been truly selfish. However, everything she at the time thought was Mina's arrogance and snobbery had really been to save face as the eldest daughter of the clan's leader. 

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇