22

The next day, Sen and Sora were joined by the rest of their clan in Konohagakure. Lord Hyuga was pleased with the compound and the village, while Lady Hyuga was ecstatic over having peace and quiet in her house for the first time in almost twenty five years.

"Sen, Sora, I'm very proud of you two," their mother praised them, giving each a kiss on the cheek. "Our new home looks so wonderful."

Suddenly, an excited little voice shouted, "SORA!!!"

The man's face lit up and he whipped around to catch Yuudai, who was running toward him. The two crashed together in a big hug and laughed. The little Hyuga began asking a hundred questions a minute, not stopping to catch his breath or to let Sora respond. Finally, Yuudai ran out of breath and gave Sora a chance to get a word in.

"Hey there, kiddo. Long time no see," he greeted him, tousling his hair. "How's the earth jutsu coming along?"

"I learned how to do it, Sora Sensei," Yuudai beamed with pride.

"You could be Hokage one day!" Hashirama's joyful voice called out as he entered the compound.

"Hokage? What's that?" the little boy answered, looking up to the big man.

"It's just a fancy word for the leader of the village," Hashirama smiled.

Yuudai looked up in awe at Hashirama after Sora revealed that the man standing in front of Sora was indeed the Hokage himself.

Sora introduced Hashirama to everyone while Sen wondered if Madara would come by. He had no real reason to, but still, it would be nice for him to meet some of the other Hyuga. But then again, she had yet to meet many of the Uchiha. She had met a few here and there whenever she was with Madara, but he had never introduced her to his mother or father. Honestly, he never even spoke of them, leading Sen to wonder if they were alive. Is he really all alone? She thought sadly. Well, if he is, he won't have to be ever again if I can help it.

Sora and the Hokage went to meet with Mizura and Lord Hyuga, leaving Sen with her mother and Yuudai.

The little ninja tugged on Sen's arm and motioned for her to come closer. She leaned down and he asked nervously, "Sora Sensei didn't find a new student, did he?"

Sen patted the top of his head and replied earnestly, "No one coud ever replace you, Yuudai." She winked after and his mouth widened in a big smile. He bid Sen and Lady Hyuga goodbye and ran off, joining his waiting friends.

Later that night, Sen paced the floor, thinking hard. She wanted to make peace with Mina. She had regretted how her sister and her left off and promised to smooth things over whenever Minda arrived in Konoha.

What do I even begin to say? She scrambled. I doubt anything I say will begin to repair the damage to our relationship. The two sisters had never been close, but Sen wanted to at least make an effort. Fuck it, I'll figure it out as I go, she thought as she released a deep breath and charged out the door.

Mina answered her door and looked a bit surprised to see Sen. She asked in a monotone, "What do you want?"

"May I come in?"

"Why?"

Sen closed her eyes for a moment to keep from losing her cool and then answered, "I'd like to talk to you for a moment."

"We can talk right here," she replied unimpressed and unpersuaded.

Mina, I want to kick your ass. The younger Hyuga girl sighed in slight annoyance and pleaded, "Please, Mina."

Mina narrowed her eyes at Sen for a moment before turning and walking back into her house. The door remained open, so Sen took it as Mina's warm welcome.

"We have nothing to say to one another, Sen. We never have," she snapped coldly.

"Which is why I'm here," Sen countered her gently. "Mina... I'm sorry for I've acted towards you in the past. Being here has made me realize--"

"I don't care what being here has made you realize, Sen," Mina interjected in a sharp mocking voice.

"But," Sen mouthed. She let out a sad sigh before nodding. "Okay, Mina. If you ever need me... you know where I am."

Mina hummed in anger and walked into her bedroom, leaving Sen alone. Tears welled in her pale eyes as she slowly trudged back to her own house. Her shoulders felt heavy and her chest was tight. She curled into her bed and felt the weight of her big sister's rejection crash down on her like the waves of a tsunami.

Why has Mina always been so cruel to me? What did I ever do to deserve her anger?

"Are you crying?" Madara's comforting voice asked from the balcony.

His presence startled Sen, and she quickly wiped her tears away before denying. He raised an eyebrow and grunted, "Hn."

He jumped down from the railing and walked into Sen's bedroom, silently laying beside her and allowing her to curl up in his chest. He held the back of her head into his shoulder and whispered, "Go on, let it out."

Sen felt comforted and protected in his embrace. She let salty tears slip down her cheeks, soaking the front of his robe. Madara was quiet, running his fingers along her back and kissing the top of her head every now and then. He didn't know much about comforting people, but for Sen, he would try anything.

As she lay with him, she remembered what Mina had growled at her the night of their last conversation, "This isn't some tragic love story, Sen."

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇