29

Late that night after Madara and Karasu had returned to the Uchiha compound, Sen was readying herself for bed whenever Sora let himself in. He called out her name and she immediately recognized distress in his voice. Exiting the bathroom quickly, she asked what was wrong.

His lip quivered slightly as he spoke, "It's Father. He..." Sora's voice failed. His sister's stomach began knotting up as she expected the worst.

"Sora? What's going on? Is Father okay?" she asked in rapid succession.

The man shook his head and spoke softly, "He had a heart attack, Sen. He's... gone."

The words slammed into her gut. Her throat burned and she felt her legs grow weak at the news.

No, she thought, tears stinging her eyes. This can't be happening. Father... Tears flowed from her eyes and she clung to Sora, sobs racking her small body. He stroked her hair and comforted her while allowing his own tears to quietly slip down his face.

They went to Lord Hyuga's side and said a small prayer over him. Their mother was there, quietly leaking tears. Sen pressed a kiss to her father's icy cheek before breaking down in tears again. Her mind raced through memories of him.

"Sen, Lord Hyuga firmly spoke.

The little girl raised her big, curious pale eyes to the man before chirping, "Yes, Father?"

He knelt down to her and lay a gentle hand on her shoulder before saying, "You're going to be a wonderful kunoichi one day, my child. I'm proud to be your father."

A goofy grin spread across Sen's young face. She beamed from her father's praise while he gave her a big hug and twirled her around.

A tear fell off of Sen's cheek and onto her father's chest. I miss you already, old man.

Sen and Sora silently left the room. They were returning to Sen's house whenever she stopped to knock on Mina's door. Her sister answered with tear-stained cheeks that matched her siblings. She welcomed them in and they all sat in Mina's bed, comforting one another.

Sen couldn't even think of the last time all of her siblings had been together. It was nice having them at her side once more, excluding Mizura of course. At this moment, they all needed one another to rely on. After all, wasn't that what family was for? The three stayed in Mina's bed for the duration of the night, Sora allowing the two girls to cry on his shoulder as needed. As the night drug on, they ended up falling asleep curled up in various directions on the large bed.

The Hyuga clan leader's funeral was simple, as he had always insisted it be. Sen knew that her father would be pleased with how his memory was honored. However, it didn't make missing him any easier.

The compound was quiet following the burial. Friends constantly checked on Sen's mother, bringing food and tea to the household almost daily. The older woman was distraught after the loss of her loving spouse.

Sen joined her mother in the courtyard under the fleeting warmth of the late fall sunshine. As she sat down, she asked how her mother was holding up. A sad smile was on Lady Hyuga's face as she whispered somberly, "It seems that even the sun has dimmed without your father's presence. However, I'm thankful for the forty bright years I shared with him."

Mother has spent forty years at Father's side, and now he's just... gone. I can't even begin to imagine the pain she's experiencing. I hope and pray I never have to, Sen thought.

"Mother," she began, "when did you know that you loved Father?"

A faraway look took over Lady Hyuga's pale eyes and a wistful grin presented itself on her mouth. "Oh, Sen... I loved him from the first time that I saw him. And then every single moment that followed. Even now, I love him." She was quiet for a moment before adding, "And I know that I'll love him for all the empty years to come." 

Sen absorbed her mother's words. Her mind could think of nothing but Madara Uchiha. His cool black eyes that warmed only for her. His gentle touch that sent chills down her spine. His throaty voice that whispered her name. His arms that held her closely and kept her safe.

She found herself thinking of him constantly, smiling at her memories of him, and looking forward to the next time she would be with him. Thankfully, she never had to wait very long for those times to come. It was rare for Sen and Madara not to see one another at least every other day. They never grew tired of one another and even during the most boring of times, Sen would rather be with Madara than anyone.

I'm in love with him, she realized silently. I'm in love with Madara Uchiha. Of course the thought scared her, but it excited her even more. She didn't know if Madara would ever feel the same way, but even if he didn't, she would continue to love him.

Days passed and Sen's mind continued to remind her of her love for Madara. All of a sudden, he was in everything she did. She thought of him while she made breakfast, while she walked through the village, while she trained with Karasu, and while she lay in bed at night. She longed for him to be beside her, holding her closely to his chest.

Meanwhile, Madara had just returned to Konohagakure. He had missed Sen terribly and wanted to see her as soon as possible. He stopped by his house to shower and change clothes before sneaking through the dark village streets to her place. He noticed the eerie quiet of the Hyuga compound, but didn't think much of it.

He knocked on her door softly, hoping she was still awake. Sen answered shortly after. Her eyes grew wide upon seeing the tall man in her threshold. She opened her mouth to speak; however, Madara's lips crashed into hers and he flung his arms around her in a crushing embrace. She melted into him and grasped at his hair with her fingers. Their kiss was deep and slow, working against one another thirstily. Madara parted Sen's lips and she met his tongue with her own, dancing with together in ecstasy. His strong hands gripped the sides of her waist as she climbed into his arms and wrapped her legs around his torso. He held her and walked to the bedroom before laying her on the bed and slowly kissing the soft skin of her neck and chest.

He's back, Sen thought in relief. Please, never leave again, Madara. Say you'll stay with me forever. Won't you?

She pulled him close to her, suffocating herself with his hair as he fell on top of her. His head rested on her chest and he smiled as he listened to her heart pounding.

After holding one another quietly for a few minutes, Sen told him the news about her father's passing and Madara comforted her, giving his condolences. Her tears had dried long ago and were now replaced with a firm respect for her father. She commented to Madara in a deadpan voice, "My father never treated me as anything less than capable."

"That's the reason you're so strong."

"I'll forever be thankful to him for that," she replied wistfully as she was curled into Madara's lap with her head on his shoulder, twirling a piece of his long black hair through her fingers.

This feels right, Madara silently thought. Being with her feels like the most natural thing in the world. Hell, this has to be love. What else could make me think about this woman twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week? It's as if she has me under a genjutsu that I'll seemingly never break out of. Well, as long as it's her, I guess I don't mind too much.

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇