52

Sen spent the next few days in the eye of the storm. She stayed at Madara's house with her boys and put on a false smile while reassuring Karasu and Yama that nothing was wrong. She knew, however, that this facade couldn't last forever.

To Sen's displeasure, it was sooner than later that the curtain fell. One afternoon as the boys returned to Madara's house from a mission, they shuffled in with downfallen faces. Neither of them said a word as they stood in front of Sen. Their heads raised and she looked into their big tear-filled eyes before knitting her brows together and asking what was wrong.

Karasu's lip was trembling as he asked, "Is it true?"

Her eyes closed slowly and she asked quietly, "Is what true?" However, she already knew damn well what the boys were upset about.

"You're marrying that Senju," Yama snarled in disgust. His face had evolved into anger as he stared defiantly at Sen. He added in an anguished whisper, "We thought you loved Madara-sama."

She returned a soft gaze and knelt down to their level before laying a hand on each of their shoulders and saying, "I do love him, Yama. Madara and I are going to take care of all of this. Promise me you won't worry about this, yeah?"

They nodded sadly. Karasu put on a weak smile and threw himself around her waist before mumbling, "We don't want you to leave us, Sen." He buried his face in her kimono and she felt a small wet spot beginning to form. She lay her hand on his back and comforted the soft-hearted child.

Yama was still standing back from Sen, a glint of anger and confusion mixing in his eye. His lip was trembling as he spoke, "You can't marry someone else..." He trailed off before adding softly, "Not when you make Madara-sama so happy."

A sad smile was on the woman's face as she pulled Yama close to her. He was stiff at first, but relaxed and wrapped his arms around Karasu and Sen. She let out a long breath and tightened the hold on her boys. Her heart was aching as she told them gently that she loved them both very much.

She was determined to find a way around this god-forsaken marriage arrangement. Not only for her and Madara's relationship, but for the sake of her little family as well.

Later that night, after that boys had long fallen asleep, Madara lay his head in Sen's lap as they watched the koi swim in the little pond outside of his house. She brushed his long hair and began absentmindedly braiding it as they carried on casual conversation.

Madara loved surveying her delicate features. A little upturned nose set between angelic white eyes, complete with sweet, full, pink lips that could make the most beautiful smile. He loved watching her as she went about her ordinary life. He loved the way her brows furrowed whenever she was contemplative, or how she continually wore an instinctual lopsided smile when she was content. He loved how her voice comforted him, her lips kissed him, and her arms circled him. Madara loved these things among her other countless idiosyncrasies.

However, what he loved about her most of all was how she saw him. Instead of looking at him and seeing the ruthless Uchiha clan leader, she saw something else. He wasn't sure what she saw in him, but he was thankful for whatever it was. Another thing he had never quite understood how she made him fall in love, but it was certain that she had.

He raised his hand to her face and pulled her mouth down to his, pressing a soft kiss to her lips. He felt her smile against him; the feeling of the gentle curve of her mouth bringing him joy. His fingers brushed her hair back as they parted and looked at one another silently.

After a few moments, Madara spoke, "Until I met you..." He took a breath and continued, "I could never just be Madara Uchiha. Before..." He paused again, capturing her lips in a soft peck. "I was the strict clan leader, the merciless god of war, the strategist in the shadows..." Another pause, this time he held her face and bore his warm obsidian eyes into hers before continuing, "But then upon meeting you, you made me feel like being myself was enough."

She was beaming at his revelation. She planted a kiss on his forehead and then leaned forward, wrapping herself around his middle. They lay in the position for a moment before Sen crawled on top of him and rested her chin on his chest. She replied, "You're more than enough, Madara."

Her fingers were gently tracing the hard line of his jaw and nose. She smiled at how handsome he looked in the moonlight. There was another minute of comfortable silence before she added, "In fact, you're more than I ever dreamt of."

Madara's grip tightened on her waist as he told her sincerely, "I love you."

She kissed his nose and winked while replying, "I love you too."

After that, time with the Uchiha men passed like a dream. Sen found herself anxious that Mizura or Tobirama would send shinobi to come take her away from Madara, but her lover had reassured her that it would be a cold day in hell before he let that happen. She knew he was being serious, and it made her rest easier.

The boys had calmed down too. Yuudai had been by a few times and Sen had made sure to talk to him individually about what her decisions might mean for her future in the Hyuga clan. He nodded and listened intently, worry prevalent on his little face. She reassured him that no matter what happened, she would always be there for him. He smiled and gave her a big hug.

As much as she tried to be confident for the sake of the boys, there was an uneasy feeling she couldn't shake. Apart from that, she still had no idea how her and Madara were going to find a way out of this. Although the clans' decision had already been made, Sen clung to a fiber of hope that she would be able to spend the rest of her life alongside Madara Uchiha. 

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇