26

The morning had barely begun to break whenever Sen was woken by rapid knocking. She groaned gently and wiggled herself free from Madara's arm. His hair was tied back so she could see his full face as he gently snored. A rush of warmth washed across her as she gazed upon his sleeping form. I think I may love you, Madara Uchiha.

Another knock reminded Sen of what she had woken up for. She trotted to the door and opened it to find Mina with her head bowed. As she raised her face to meet her sister, Sen noticed that Mina looked as if he had not slept and had been crying.

Sen was unsure of how to react; however, she asked gently, "Mina? Is everything okay?"

"Obviously not," Mina croaked through fresh tears.

You're in no position to be an asshole to me right now. Sen thought harshly before reminding herself of the peace she wished to achieve. Instead, she replied, "Come in and I'll make some tea."

Sen asked Mina what was on her mind and for a moment, Mina was silent as her thoughts processed. Finally, she breathed raggedly, "What if I can't marry Tobirama?"

"What's making you apprehensive?"

Mina's shoulders sagged as she quietly drank the tea. Her expression was void of happiness as she whispered, "I always thought..." She paused, fighting back tears, "I always thought that I could marry for the benefit of the clan, but now..."

Sen was having a hard time sympathizing with Mina. The older Hyuga had always been so adamant about the role of marriage as alliance security. She had said there was no purpose of marrying for love whenever power could be obtained. Pushing away those thoughts, Sen reminded herself that Mina did not need her apathy right now. With a kind voice, she asked, "Have you had a chance to speak with Tobirama any?"

Mina nodded and said they had spoken for a few minutes after dinner and that she couldn't help but feel he already thought her pathetic. There was silence between the two, which was broken by a long yawn.

Oh, fuck me, Sen thought quickly. She pretended not to hear the noise; however, Mina's face twisted in confusion and she asked, "Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?" Sen asked, feigning denseness.

As if on cue, Madara sleepily shuffled into the kitchen, his head down as his hand ran through his long raven hair. Madara looked up and his eyes widened. He remained silent as he looked between Mina and Sen. Mina's jaw was slack and her skin was ghostly white while Sen's cheeks were crimson and she was biting hard on her lip.

"What the fuck?" Mina asked aloud, looking incredulously from Madara to Sen.

Well, there goes any chance for peace between Mina and I. She was bound to find out... I just wish it could have happened a bit differently, Sen thought. A nervous laugh passed through Sen's mouth before she casually asked, avoiding the situation, "Tea, Madara?"

He nodded slowly and sat beside Sen as she poured him a cup. Mina's eyes sharply darted between Sen and Madara before she mumbled sarcastically, "This is a shocking turn of events."

"It's nice to see you again," Madara greeted her slowly. Sen patted his knee as if to reassure him and he breathed a bit easier.

"Is it though?" she questioned him, raising an eyebrow.

"No," he countered calmly, "but I've been practicing my manners."

A deviant smirk broke across Mina's face. "Practicing them on Sen?"

Sen's face reddened again in horror and she snapped, "Mina!"

Her sister chuckled and asked, "How long has this been going on?"

They both denied that anything was going on between them. Mina narrowed her eyes at them and scoffed, "Do you two seriously think I'm that stupid? He just walked out of your bedroom, Sen."

Please, please, please say something, Madara. I don't know what you and I are. We're nothing, right? No... No, we're more than that. I know there's something special between us. Madara is precious to me. Sen's mind raced.

Madara answered truthfully, "Your sister and her happiness are very important to me. That's all." He softly gazed over to her and she blushed at his words before whispering her appreciation.

The Uchiha man finished his tea and then apologized for having to run off so quickly, but there was work to be done. He kissed Sen on the cheek in parting and gave her a little wink before leaving out the balcony.

"I guess I should've expected this," Mina said sadly. "You two were fascinated by each other at dinner that night."

"Please..." Sen begged quietly, "Don't be angry with me. I didn't mean for this to happen, Mina."

Mina shook her head. "I'm not angry with you. If anything, I'm jealous. He looks at you like you're the only thing that matters. How could I be angry that my little sister is in love?"

"We aren't in love..." Sen argued.

A soft laugh came from Mina while she sighed, "Whatever you say."

Neither spoke as the sun gently basked them in its shimmering golden rays. They sipped their tea and looked around absentmindedly.

Finally, Mina stated, "I've thought a lot about what you said the other night. I'm also sorry for how I've acted in the past. I guess I really came here to ask if you would forgive me..."

Sen's face brightened as she answered, "Of course, Mina. A new beginning in a new village is very fitting."

She nodded weakly and whispered, "But I still don't know what to do about Tobirama."

Sen took her sister's hand and assured her that they would figure it out together. 

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇