15

The next night, Sen's mind was still a mess. She sat on the roof of her apartment and watched the sky. There were no stars to be seen tonight. The thick purple clouds blanketed the night sky, tucking the stars away for a brief rest.

She felt someone's presence near and activated her Byakugan. She saw Madara walking toward the Hyuga compound and felt her heart begin to race. Her hands began shaking as he slowly strolled closer. He would see her soon. She had to relax herself.

"Sen?" that familiar sonorous voice called out. "Why are you on the roof?"

She closed her eyes and gulped. Without turning around, she replied, "Just watching the sky."

"May I join you?"

There was a long silence before she croaked that he could. In an instant, Madara was sitting beside her, his eyes looking up into the clouds. Sen's heart was pounding so loudly in her chest that she was afraid he would hear it. However, the Uchiha kept his obsidian gaze to the heavens.

"How have you been? I'm sorry I haven't been back sooner. Things have been busy around the village."

"I've been... okay," she lied. "How about you?"

"Some days are better than others."

"Mhmm," she hummed softly.

Her mind was blank. There was nothing on her mind except what Tobirama had told her the day before. "He isn't your friend. That man is no one's friend." Her hands were shaking as she silently sat beside the Uchiha man.

Madara noticed that Sen seemed unlike her usual self. Only days before she had bounded up to him with an electric smile and now she seemed nervous and scared. It concerned him greatly, so he laid a hand on her knee and asked softly, "Sen, are you sure everything is alright?"

At his words and touch, her body flinched. She felt frozen while Madara waited on her reply.

"Sen?" he asked again.

"M--Madara?" she quivered.

"Yes," he answered with worry. He watched as her body trembled under his hand. What the fuck is wrong with her? Is she... scared of me? I don't understand?

"I need to ask you something."

"Anything," he breathed lowly.

She took a deep breath before turning to face the man. Her eyes were shining with tears as she asked, "Is it true? Did you kill Izuna?"

His face turned ghostly white as he coldly snapped, "What did you just ask me?"

Sen felt her courage fleeting; however, she put on a brave face and asked again, "Is it true that you killed Izuna?"

"Who told you that?"

Sen was silent as her voice was frozen in her throat. She opened her mouth, but no words came out.

"Who fucking told you that, Sen?" he asked in a growl. His dark eyes were digging into hers as his hard face was set in anger.

She answered just above a whisper, "Tobirama."

"Why were you with him?"

Sen finally found her voice. She ordered with a thick voice, "Stop interrogating me and answer my question, Madara!"

"I DIDN'T KILL IZUNA!" he roared. "THAT BASTARD SENJU DID!"

Sen didn't flinch from Madara's anger. She heard the pain in his voice and saw the anguish on his face.

"Mad-" she began before being cut off.

"Don't," he snarled. "I don't want to hear anything you have to say."

Her eyes laid into his and she replied, "I don't care. Tell me the truth, Madara. Tell me what happened to Izuna. I just want to know the truth."

"That is the truth, Sen! Do you really think I could kill my only brother? I loved Izuna more than anything..." Madara's voice wavered. Sen saw the pain on his face and instinctively reached her hand out to him.

He pushed her away and glared at her with his Sharingan blazing. "Don't touch me."

Madara's malevolent chakra seeped from him and choked the air. Sen felt suffocated by the ominous presence his chakra gave off. Her body trembled in complete fear. She was hypnotized by the fear of what this man was capable of.

Using the final ounce of courage she had in her, she activated her Byakugan and met his eyes. In a pseudo-confident voice, she told him, "Go ahead and kill me. I'm not scared of you."

Instead of death, she felt herself being pulled into a dark void. Time and space escaped her as her vision adjusted to the ominous landscape.

I'm sorry I have to do this, Sen. It's the only way to make you truly understand, Madara thought before adjusting his focus. 

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇