45

Sen's heart had grown cold. Her anger had been brewing and now she stood in front of Mizura's office door with her hands balled into fists. Her heart began beating harder as she could hear Mina's screams from the night she held her on the floor. Mina had broken her fingers down into a bloody mess that night from pounding on the wood. Sen's hands ached as she felt Mina's pain, digging her own nails into the soft skin of her palm. The anguished sobs rang in the Hyuga girl's head over and over as she stood silently in front of the door.

"I can't marry Tobirama. I don't want this life anymore. I can't do it." Mina's words rang. Should I have caught that? Had Mina already made up her mind then? Sen had been torturing herself with the thoughts until she could no longer sleep.

As the thoughts had looped, Sen realized she needed to speak with Mizura. This was how she had ended up in front of the clan leader's office door, palms sweating and throat tight. She had to know why he would say such terrible things to Mina. She also wanted to know if he felt a sense of responsibility for her death. It wouldn't take any of the burden off of Sen's shoulders, but she did want Mizura to know that she was aware of his callousness.

She opened the door without knocking and heard Mizura state monotonously, "I was wondering how long you would stand out there."

She glared at him coldly and accused him outright, "Mina told me what you said."

Mizura took a moment to think, rubbing his thumb along his jaw contemplatively. He then smirked and said with a cruel laugh, "Well, it turns out I was right... " He stopped for a moment, a mocking pout spreading on his face before he continued, "And now she will never even be powerful. What a shame."

Anger spread through Sen like wildfire. She kept a composed face as she growled sharply, "She was your sister. Fuck you."

The clan leader gave her a long callous look. His eyes were searching her in deep thought as an evil smile popped onto his face. He responded with a question, "Do you want to be loved too, Sen?"

"I am," she snapped.

"By that Uchiha?" he scoffed with wide eyes. "It's more likely for the sky to rain blood than for him to ever love you."

Her fingernails had long broken the skin of her palms as traces of blood stained the tips of her fingers. She was struggling to keep her anger contained at his carelessness. "I feel so sorry for you, Mizura." She kept a hard stare on him, refusing to be intimidated by him.

He sighed and waved his hand absentmindedly, "You're the naive fool here, dear sister. Mina killed herself because you put into her head some crazy notion that either of you were worth being loved."

Sen froze. He's... right. She thought. Her mind raced back to something Mina had said before. It meant nothing at the time, just a sweet comment, but now...

Sen heard Mina's aching voice clearly. "Seeing love makes you realize that it's something you want also. When I saw you and Madara interacting with one another, I knew I wanted a bond like that with whoever I marry."

It is my fault. I told Mina that happiness and love were what made life worth living. Mizura... is right.

Mizura's harsh voice broke her reverie as he ordered, "Get over it, Sen. She's dead."

Her hands were shaking as she stepped forward. "There are many unfortunate circumstances in life," she began in an even tone. Her composure was hanging by threads as tears threatened her eyes. She continued, anger straining her voice as she thrust her finger in Mizura's face, "but the most tragic of all is that you were born before Sora." 

Mizura and her held eyes until she spit at his feet and stormed off, slamming the door behind her. She was angry, hurt, and confused.

Her older brother was so cruel. Mizura seemed to enjoy inflicting pain upon others. He relished in their suffering. How could he be so different from the twin he shared a womb with?

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇ 

This is a super short chapter, so I may post another at some point tonight :)