19

A bowl of okayu grew cold on the table in front of Sen. She nudged the porridge around, but only took small bites of it. She was absentmindedly watching out the window at a bird hopping from branch to branch around a tree.

"You know who I haven't seen around in a while?" Sora asked rhetorically as he slurped his okayu.

"Who?" Sen replied automatically, her voice a monotone.

"Madara. It's been weeks."

Her expression remained vacant. "Yeah, it's been a while." And he probably won't be by again... Sorry about that, Sora.

Sora continued his interrogation: "Have you seen him lately?"

She shook her head and ate a bite of her breakfast. Sora, are you toying with me? Or are you really just oblivious?

"Did you two get in a fight or something? You guys seemed to get along so well," he finally came out and asked.

Sen sighed with a laugh, "Next time you want to know something, just ask without dancing around."

Sora's face reddened in embarrassment and he rubbed his neck, "Oh... uhh, I'm sorry, Sen. But... did you?"

Sen was silent. Her eyes were staring into space as she whispered, "Yeah. A misunderstanding got a little out of hand."

Her thoughts ran back to the night on the roof. "Don't touch me!" he had snarled at her as his flaming red Sharingan blazed. It was so tragically beautiful, but the moment it appeared, so did the cold evil of Madara's chakra. It had swallowed the oxygen from Sen's lungs as it enveloped her in fear. She felt frozen as the man in front of her emitted his sinister chakra. She had never felt that way before.

"What happened?"

Sen locked eyes with her brother and whimpered, "His chakra, Sora. It's terrifying. He used his Sharingan on me and I--I don't know why, but... I'm afraid of him."

Sora's face dropped in anger. "He used his Sharingan on you?" he asked quickly, his voice hardening.

"He showed me something," she scrambled. "It's... Actually... Just let me tell you the whole story. It'll make more sense if you let me fully explain."

Her elder brother nodded and Sen began recounting the events after he had left her with Tobirama during their village tour. He hung onto her every word and allowed her to speak freely. Sen was grateful for her brother's kind soul and open ears. He was her best friend, just as she was his. She thanked the heavens for her and Sora's unbreakable bond.

After she finished monologuing, he let out a deep breath. He scratched his head and replied, "I'm sorry you've been going through all of this alone. I'm always here for you, Sen. Come to me with an order to capture the moon and I'll figure out a way to make it happen. You're my little sister. And my best friend."

"I just don't know what to do, Sora. He means so much to me, but after seeing him like that.... It's all I can think about."

"Madara can't help what his chakra is like, Sen. How he treats you is what matters. He has no say in his chakra, but he does in his decisions. Forget his chakra. He's a warrior, Sen."

Sora's right, she thought sadly. Madara has never treated me as anything less than perfect. He was always there, silently comforting and protecting me. Hell, even after our argument on the roof, he took care of me. And in return, I told him I was afraid of him.

She whispered, "I made a mistake, Sora. I miss him."

His words from the night of their first kiss played over in her head. "I've found that tranquility is almost impossible to come across, so when you find it, it's good practice to hold it closely." Her eyes closed and she put her face in her hands as she groaned.

"You should talk to him, Sen. I'm sure he will be receptive."

She let out a huff while looking back out the window. Once again, you're right, Sora. I do need to talk to Madara.

"What if he gets angry? He doesn't seem like the kind of man to give second chances..."

Sora chuckled. "Well, from what Hashirama has told me, he also isn't one to show interest in women, but he sure was captivated by you. Hashirama and him have been friends for years, I'd trust the guy's word. Go, Sen. You'll regret it if you don't."

Sen put on a brave smile and whispered, "Thank you, Sora."

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇