3

"You know, I was thinking about," Hashirama began as he stuffed his face with ramen, "how pretty that Hyuga girl was. She was definitely interested in you."

"Which one?" Madara grumbled from across the table, scooping noodles into his own mouth slowly.

Hashirama cocked his head in confusion and asked, "What do you mean? The only one. Mina."

He shook his head as he chewed, "There was another." He paused and recalled the memory of the woman from earlier before adding, "In the hallway."

Hashirama opened his mouth to speak again; however, Madara cut him off prematurely, "Mina was pretty, but I'm not interested."

The brown-haired man's shoulders fell as he passed off a sigh. The two men continued their meal in silence.

The doorbell of the small ramen shop rang and a gust of warm summer air rushed through the door. Madara's back was to the door, facing the cash register, so he watched as the shop owner's face lit up with a hearty smile. The old man exclaimed in shock to the entrant, "You're back already?!"

"Of course," a female voice replied. Madara passively watched as a raven-haired woman laid a package on the shop counter. He returned most of his attention to his food, still listening to a bit to the conversation between the woman and the ramen shop owner.

He was totally submerged in his own thoughts whenever a voice called out to him, "Oh hey! You're the guys from the new shinobi village, right?"

With a noodle halfway in his mouth, he looked up into the magnificent white eyes of the Hyuga girl from the hallway. She was smiling gently; her full pink lips parted slightly in delight, showing off sparkling white teeth. Madara could only look at her blankly; however, Hashirama began chatting her up instantly.

"That's us! Say, you must be the girl that Madara was talking about earlier!"

Madara coughed as he swallowed his food. His eyes cast daggers at Hashirama, but the girl only hummed and asked, "It isn't every day you get to hear a complete stranger's thoughts about yourself. Care to delight me on what Madara said?"

The typically stoic Uchiha was close to shattering from embarrassment, but he managed to contain himself. Hashirama took note of his friend's predicament and decided to let him off easy for now. He replied to her, "He just mentioned that he saw you in the hallway. We met your sister, Mina, and your brothers, Mizura and Sora, but not you. I think that's a shame, Lady Hyuga."

"Please, call me Sen," she informed him.

Sen. Madara thought.

"Have a seat with us, won't you, Sen?" Hashirama offered, pulling back a chair for her.

She shrugged and sat with the men, listening to Hashirama chatter while Madara was silent. Her laugh carried through the building as the Senju clan leader told jokes and old stories of him and Madara. She wished the Uchiha man would speak more; however, they were lucky to receive an occasional grunt or hum from him.

The night continued on, time passing swiftly for Hashirama and Sen, but more slowly for Madara. He ignored most of what Hashirama said, but he hung onto each of Sen's words with interest. Her voice was melodious and refined and it seemed that her words were carefully plucked right from her mouth. She was clearly intelligent, speaking passionately of things he had never heard any of the Uchiha women even begin to know about or take interest in.

Of course, he wanted to join in the conversation; however, Hashirama's personality was too overwhelming for him to compete with. The black-haired man had gotten used to being the silent partner to Hashirama's social prowess, and it was one thing he was grateful for. With Hashirama around, there was never a need for Madara to be very open. He was an Uchiha after all and they weren't exactly known for their outgoing personalities.

As the shop closed, the group began winding down their conversation. Hashirama saw a dango vendor passing by outside and jumped up, calling back to Madara and Sen, "Oh! It was great meeting you, Sen! Madara, I gotta go! See you at the inn!" In a flash, he was gone, chasing after the vendor and his sweets.

"Is he always like that?" Sen asked, watching out the window as he ran for the dango.

Madara replied, "More often than not." He paused, opening the door for Sen, and asked, "May I walk you home?"

She nodded pleasantly. The two walked the lamp-lit streets, taking the long way because Sen wanted to and Madara didn't know the difference. She was surprised that he was more vocal than she initially thought and enjoyed answering his questions about the small village and life as a Hyuga. The silences between them were comfortable as well, which both were thankful for.

Upon reaching her home, she gave him a light bow. He returned the gesture. She stepped up on the porch but stopped short of opening the door.

"Madara," Sen addressed him, her palm resting on the metal handle.

His name rolled confidently from her mouth as if she was the only person who had the right to say it. His inky black stare fell into her endless eyes as he acknowledged her.

She continued, keeping a trained gaze on him, "Thank you for walking me home. I'm sure I'll be seeing you soon."

In the dim light of her porch, Madara was struck by just how magnificent she was. Her white eyes were wise and kind, and she held herself purposefully. Her skin was milky and unblemished as it lay in stark contrast against her midnight colored hair. She had charmed Madara beyond his own belief in only one night.

"Of course, Sen," he replied quietly.

With a crooked smile, she slipped inside and closed the door behind her.

Sen pressed her back against the door after closing it. She closed her eyes and let a slow, genuine smile creep onto her face. As a sigh passed through her lips, she thought to herself, Madara Uchiha.

He was enigmatic and stolid. His low voice was unhurried and as he formed her name on his lips, it seemed to Sen that he took extra care to make it sound as beautiful as possible. His silent strength comforted her and she hoped that meeting him tonight was not an isolated incident. The depth of his onyx eyes played on a loop in her mind as she mindlessly walked to her bedroom. She fell onto the soft bed and quickly slipped into a dreamless sleep.

 ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇