39

It had taken a bit of urging to get Mina out of the house, but Sen had finally convinced the girl to join her and the boys for lunch. She argued that Mina had been isolating herself, to which the sister denied and said she had simply been busy. Sen didn't believe her for one second, but stuck with the nagging until she agreed to come along. 

They met Yuudai at the gates of the Hyuga compound and then continued on to join Karasu and Yama. The Uchiha boys were waiting outside the gates, Yama propped against the wall while Karasu sat on the top with his legs dangling off the edge.

"Hey guys!" Karasu shouted from his perch whenever he saw the Hyuga trio appear.

Yuudai ran ahead and started horsing around with Yama, who feigned annoyance but was grinning from ear to ear. Karasu watched from the wall as the two boys rough-housed, but soon looked back up to the approaching women.

"Ready to go?" Sen asked cheerily.

Karasu hopped down from the wall and beamed at Sen before saying hello. She returned his greeting and draped her arm around his shoulder as they walked behind the rest of the group. Sen and Karasu watched as Yama and Mina argued over where to go for lunch, unable to reach a compromise. Yuudai nervously mediated the two, offering solutions that satisfied neither stubborn bull.

"Sen," the boy beside her gathered her attention. She looked down to him and raised her eyebrows. He continued, "Thank you for being my sensei."

Her heart melted at his meek smile. He returned his gaze towards the group in front and then tugged on Sen's sleeve before sprinting to catch up with them. She followed closely behind, being dragged by Karasu.

As they approached, Sen heard Yama arguing, "Yeah, well no one wants miso soup. We want real food, Mina!"

The older Hyuga girl snapped her head to Yama and narrowed her eyes, "Miso is real food, you little brat."

He shot back, "Hmph! Well, it won't make us as strong as yakitori would! We're shinobi, Mina! We need protein!"

Sen laughed and spoke up, "I'd almost say you two are fond of one another."

Yama's face scrunched up in horror as he protested, "I'm not fond of this old woman!"

Here we go with this again, Sen groaned internally.

Mina's face grew red as the vein on her forehead protruded. She growled, "Who are you calling old, huh? I'll have you know--"

Sen exploded in laughter that quietened her sister. She doubled over laughing, holding her stomach as it cramped from the lack of breathing. Everyone stopped and watched as their friend seemingly lost their mind.

"Uhh, Sen?" Karasu asked in confusion.

She wiped tears out of her eyes and smiled at the group of people in front of her. A loving look passed over her face. She spoke, "I'm happy to have you knuckleheads in my life. Now, let's satisfy both of your cravings. I know just the place."

They followed Sen through the village and into a little restaurant and crowded around a table before ordering food that pleased both Mina and Yama. They all ate quietly before Hashirama's cheery voice called out to them. The Hokage entered the restaurant with a bright grin. A stone-faced Tobirama followed silently behind him.

Sen greeted Hashirama and then quickly checked Mina's face for any reaction. She was totally dispassionate as her eyes wandered from the Hokage to her betrothed.

Yuudai spoke up, "Lord First! Will you eat lunch with us?!"

The Hokage lit up at Yuudai's request. He asked for Sen and Mina's approval. Sen silently glanced back over to Mina, who spoke up, "Of course, Lord First." 

Hashirama thanked her before plopping down beside Sen. She noticed that Tobirama was slightly hesitant to take the remaining empty spot beside Mina; however, he sat beside her, still wearing his blank look.

I hope Mina doesn't think this was intentional, Sen thought before making a mental note to speak with her later. 

As lunch progressed, the younger boys asked the Hokage a million questions about his jutsu, his legendary stories, and his duties as the village's protector. Sen was enraptured in his charismatic tales as well; however, she kept a keen ear and eye on Mina and Tobirama. To her dismay, the couple never even acknowledged one another.

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇  

I'm a slut for the Senju brothers