6

Sen was frustrated as she dressed for dinner. As the hour neared, her nerves began to grow. She was going to see Madara again, but it wasn't under the most ideal circumstances.

She left her hair loose, allowing it to spill across her shoulders and down her back like a river of ink. She made up her face lightly and dressed in a deep purple kimono with a lavender scarf that draped around her neck loosely and fell down her back, ending just above the ground.

Looking in the mirror, she wondered if this would be enough to impress Madara. Sen knew that Mina would be dressed elegantly, dripping in jewels and gold. The older Hyuga sister was known throughout the village for her exquisite beauty and while Sen was terribly striking herself, she never felt as if she held a candle to Mina.

Sen heard Hashirama's ecstatic voice as she made her way down the hallway. With each step she took, her heart thudded louder in her chest, threatening to escape from her ribs if it grew any louder. Upon entering the dining room, Sen's eyes were immediately drawn to Madara.

He was standing tall beside Hashirama, a stoic and calm look on his face. He's so handsome, Sen thought. I want to know you better, Madara Uchiha. I just pray I get the chance.

Her thoughts stopped whenever Madara met her eyes. His face changed in the slightest; his emotionless eyes softening as he looked upon her. Under his gaze, she felt a small blush begin to creep onto her skin. Instead of looking away in embarrassment, she gave Madara a lopsided smile and went to her place at the table.

After dinner, they all remained around the table having a cup of tea. Talk through dinner had been cordial, bouncing around discussions of olden days, legendary shinobi, and pure bloodlines. It hadn't occurred yet, but Sen knew that soon enough the talk would turn to Konohagakure and her father's grand idea.

To Sen's surprise, Hashirama was the one who brought up the topic by asking if Lord Hyuga had given their proposition any further thought.

The elder Hyuga began speaking in a gravelly voice, "Indeed, I have."

A long pause followed the statement. Sen felt her stomach tying itself in knots as her father eyed both Madara and Hashirama. He then cleared his throat and asked, "You love your wives, no?"

Madara was perplexed at Lord Hyuga's odd question. Hashirama answered after a moment, "I do. Why do you ask?"

Ignoring Hashirama's question, Lord Hyuga turned his attention to Madara. "And you, Uchiha?"

"I have no wife."

Sen saw a smug smirk pull at Mina's lips and instantly felt a hot pang of jealousy. She dropped her eyes to her lap and focused on her twiddling fingers. There was nothing Sen could do in this situation except hope her father dropped the topic. However, he did not. Lord Hyuga began monologuing as Sen's thoughts enraptured her.

This is what I deserve for giving my interest to a man I don't know. Someone who was never meant to be mine. You win, Mina.

Sen returned to reality after a moment of self-pity and tuned back into the final portion of her father's words. "...What do you say, Madara Uchiha?"

In a composed tone, he answered, "No, thank you, Lord Hyuga."

Sen couldn't believe the reply. While it granted no clarity on her future with Madara, the opportunity had not been stolen away from her and for that she was grateful. A chuckle threatened to escape her throat, but she managed to suppress it to a mere smile.

Hashirama ran his hand through his hair in frustration. He figured any chance of the Hyuga joining the village was now gone. Madara, on the other hand, could not care less. He refused to marry for an alliance, that would simply be playing as a pawn in the Hyuga's game.

Masking his indignation, Lord Hyuga remarked, "I was hoping for a different answer. I've always felt that marriages were a wonderful way to bring people together."

"I suppose they are when the couple is marrying for the right reasons," the Uchiha spoke. His voice was strong and unwavering as he countered Sen's father.

Lord Hyuga smiled taught. "The right reasons..." he trailed off.

Sen peeked up to the powerful, robust leader across the table from her and saw that he was also looking at her. He gave a slight nod to her before dropping his gaze down to his lap and smiling.

Here's to hoping, Sen thought as she let out a sigh of relief, that we may discover the right reason.

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇