8

Sora entered Sen's room without bothering to knock. He clapped his hands together with a wide grin and proclaimed, "Come on, we're going out drinking!"

She raised an eyebrow at her brother's enthusiasm, especially after the disaster that was dinner. Then she thought, maybe they were able to come to a sensible deal.

Sora and Sen entered the bar and ordered a bottle of sake for the two of them, downing two cups immediately as they sat down and tapping the little glasses twice on the table after finishing their drink. It was a habit the pair had picked up long ago and continued to perform, but only when they drank together.

"Mhmm," Sora hummed. "I hope you don't mind that I invited a couple of friends."

Sen shrugged, but her face quickly paled in embarrassment when she saw Hashirama and Madara walk into the bar. She quickly cursed under her breath, "What the fuck, Sora?"

He winked in reply, standing to give Hashirama and Madara a clap on the back. He joyfully exclaimed, "Have a seat, fellas!" He slid back into the booth across from Sen and Hashirama joined him.

Sen quietly slid over and Madara took the empty spot beside her. She noticed that he was tense, but she also figured that wasn't unusual for someone like him. Smiling warmly to him and Hashirama, she addressed them, "Long time no see."

"Now that everyone's here, I figured we could fill Sen in on the agreement," Sora declared.

Hashirama took a long drink of sake and asked rhetorically, "Guess who's coming back to Konoha?!"

"Sora?" Sen answered unsurely.

"And you too!" Sora proclaimed. "Of course, only if you want. I mean, I guess if you didn't want to, we could always see if Mizura or Mina want to go. Or maybe Yuddai!"

Sen quickly swallowed the alcohol in her mouth and replied, "No, I want to go."

Madara felt relief wash across him at her words. It may mean nothing in the grand scheme of things, but at least now he would definitely have a chance to get to know her better. He slowly sipped his cup of sake, trying to make the single glass last as long as possible. Madara wasn't much of a drinker, unlike the other three.

The group ordered two more bottles of sake and a bottle of shochu and began taking shots of the alcohol, laughing and having lively conversation. Even Madara, after a bit of Hashirama and Sen's pleading, was drunk and having fun.

Hours later, Hashirama and Sora were completely drunk. Sen and Madara were close behind them, but the latter had politely declined the invitation to play a drinking game with another couple shinobi at the bar. Instead, they watched the rambunctiousness from their booth.

Sen poured the last bit of sake in both her and Madara's cups and raised her glass to him. He matched her movements and threw back the last bit of alcohol. After, she began speaking, "Sora told me that he ran into you the other day at the training grounds."

"Yes," Madara confirmed. "I was able to watch him and his student for a moment."

"Little Yuudai. He's Sora's pride and joy."

"I believe he will become a very capable shinobi under your brother's watch. He's very inquisitive, which is a noble trait for ninjas."

With drunken confidence, Sen suggested, "Let's get out of here."

Madara's eyes widened at her a bit, suddenly nervous and unsure of what to say next. He couldn't find any words to say, so instead he swallowed the lump in his throat and nodded. They escaped quietly from the bar and began making their way through the desolate streets of the small village.

"Where are we going?" Madara questioned.

Sen turned to him, looking up into his magnificent face and vaguely answered, "One of my favorite places. Trust me."

He peered down to her, her white eyes reflecting the soft moonlight. She looks ethereal, he thought. They were inches from one another, so close that Sen could smell his fragrance, a musky mix of leather and sandalwood. In the few seconds they held eye contact, Madara felt complete tranquility for the first time in his turbulent life.

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇