Chapter 4

It was the middle of the week, and Jennie was short-tempered after a long morning of endless meetings. She was sat behind her desk, enjoying the peace and quiet of her lunch break as she opened her salad, and contemplating whether or not it would be acceptable for her to have a glass of wine whilst at work.

There was a knock on her door and she let out a frustrated sigh; she couldn't even eat her food without being disrupted.

"Yes?" she barked, putting her fork down and rubbing her temples. She could feel a headache coming on, which was partly her fault for staying up late to finish yesterday's paperwork. By the look of things, she'd be doing the same tonight too.

Her secretary, Somin, opened the door slightly, an apologetic look on her face as she poked her head in. Jennie frowned at her, waiting for her excuse for interrupting her lunch, which had better be good.

"Sorry Miss Kim, you have a visitor," Somin told her.

"Well tell them to make an appointment like everyone else," Jennie snapped, sighing as she rummaged in her bag for some aspirin and got up to get a glass of water.

"Sorry Miss Kim, she told me to tell you it's Lisa, uh, Lisa Manoban," Somin said, holding her hands out apologetically.

The jug of water thudded loudly on tray as Jennie dropped it in surprise, a little bit of water sloshing over the sides. She smoothly picked it back up again, pouring a glass of water and downing it with the pills.

"Send her in," Jennie told Somin, seating herself behind her desk again, arranging her skirt and trying not to fiddle.

A moment later the door opened, and Lisa walked in, all smiles as per usual. She was holding a bouquet of yellow lilies, and a paper bag in the other hand. The sharp edges of Jennie's face softened as she looked at Lisa, standing up and giving her a slight smile.

"Hi! I hope I'm not interrupting," Lisa smiled, walking over to Jennie's desk.

"Not at all, you're a welcome distraction," Jennie said, gesturing for Lisa to sit down as she sat back in her own seat.

"So, what can I do for you?" Jennie asked, her fingertips pressing against one another as she stared at Lisa over the desk.

"Oh, well nothing really, I just thought I'd drop by and see you, now that I know where you work and all," Lisa smiled, her nose wrinkling. Jennie's eyebrows raised slightly in surprise; no one ever stopped by for social visits. Not that Jennie had any friends to stop by.

"These are for you," Lisa told her, holding out the bouquet of lilies towards Jennie, "a thank you for the other night, I had fun."

A real smile lit up Jennie's face as she took the flowers. "Thank you, you didn't have to do that," Jennie mumbled, a slight blush adding some colour to her pale cheeks.

"It was the least I could do," Lisa smiled, "and I brought donuts too, please tell me you've tried a donut before."

Jennie rolled her eyes, getting up and putting the flowers in the jug of water.

"I'm not a complete snob, of course I've had a donut before," Jennie scoffed, giving Lisa a half smile as she sat down again. "This is the first time someone's given me flowers though," Jennie admitted, admiring them from her desk.

Lisa laughed, "so many firsts for you."

Jennie gave her an exasperated look as she accepted one of the donuts Lisa held towards her. "Running a business doesn't leave me with a lot of free time to do normal things," Jennie told her, shrugging her shoulders slightly.