Chapter 73

Jennie came home from work early one afternoon, exhausted from a lack of sleep the night before and an endless day of business meetings. Things between Jennie and Lisa had been a little bit easier, having finally talked about those two weeks, and it made Jennie feel like things were getting better. She didn't expect that to mean that Lisa would be fine all of a sudden, but still, she was surprised when she came home to see Lisa sat at the dinner table doing nothing. She was just starting at the wall. There was that blank expression and vacant look in her eyes that Jennie had come to associate with Lisa's more difficult days. Lisa jumped as Jennie softly called her name, quickly standing up and plastering a smile on her face. If Jennie hadn't just walked in and seen Lisa looking completely disinterested in anything, she would've assumed that she was fine.

Setting her keys and bag down on the counter, Jennie hesitantly walked towards Lisa. "Is- is everything okay?" she asked, looking concerned.

Smiling, Lisa met her halfway and leaned in for a kiss. "Yeah, I'm fine. I was just... thinking."

"Is there anything you need to talk about?" Jennie asked, cupping Lisa's face and stroking her cheekbone as she looked into her eyes. There was a flicker of something there, but it was gone before Jennie could figure out what Lisa was thinking.

"No," Lisa said, giving her a small smile. "No, I don't think so. How was work? I wasn't expecting you home so early."

"Work was... okay. The same as always I guess. I closed that deal with Norway," Jennie said, pressing a kiss to Lisa's cheek before pulling away.

"Well done," Lisa said, giving her another smile, before she went and sat back down at the table. Resting her chin in one hand, Lisa sat there, and Jennie wasn't sure if that was a signal for her to carry on talking or to say the conversation had finished. Pausing for a moment, Jennie waited for Lisa to move, to speak, to do anything, and when she didn't, Jennie let out a sigh.

"Pack a bag," Jennie told her, and Lisa looked at her with surprise.

"What?" Lisa asked, her eyebrows slightly raised.

"Pack a bag. We're going away for a few days," Jennie said, walking towards their bedroom as she pulled her phone out of her pocket. Making a quick call, she organized for her plane to be readied as soon as possible, and set about shoving some clothes into a bag. Lisa followed her in, and Jennie grabbed some of her things out of their closet and handed them to Lisa.

"Where are we going?" Lisa asked, frowning slightly.

Jennie gave her a wry smile. "It's time for you to see where I grew up."

-----

On the way to the airport Jennie made a few calls; first to Rosé so she didn't worry, then to her mother to let her know, and then to Somin to cancel any appointments Jennie had that couldn't be managed over the phone. By the time they reached the airport, everything was settled, and Lisa was curious about seeing Jennie's childhood home.

It was still early when they landed in Metropolis, and sunset was still a while away thanks to the long summer nights. The waiting car carried the two of them and the dog out of the city limits, and Lisa stared out the window, watching the suburbs give way to the countryside. "How far out of the city do you live?" Lisa asked, as the outlying neighbourhoods gave way to acres of land.

"Put it this way; if someone tried to kill you in the house, no one would hear you for miles around," Jennie laughed. "The closest neighbours are a fifteen minute drive away."