Chapter 64

"They found her."

Jennie wrenched her face out of Yuri's hands and stumbled backwards, stopping just short of the steps. Her face contorted into a look of anger and she balled her hands into fists. "Is this some sick fucking joke?" Jennie hissed, feeling slightly nauseous.

"No, no, no," Yuri quickly reassured Jennie, reaching out and grabbing her by the shoulders. She smiled again, letting out a quick laugh. "They found her, Jennie. Sh-she's alive."

"No," Jennie said, shaking her head as she started to cry. "No, sh-she's not. Stop it. It's not f-fair. She's g-gone, Yuri." She was tired and wet and she didn't want to do this right now. Jennie just wanted to change into something dry and spend the rest of her life curled up in a ball as she wallowed in her misery.

"She's not. Th-they called maybe fifteen minutes ago. They've been trying all morning – n-none of us took our phones with us." Yuri said, pulling Jennie into a hug. "They're saying I-it's her. We need to go-, we have to go and confirm it."

Jennie let out a sob that was muffled by Yuri's dress. "It's her?"

"They're saying it's her," Yuri choked out, and then Jennie was hysterically laughing and crying and her emotions were all over the place. It was her. They were saying it was her. Jennie felt a feeling of hope stir inside her chest, but she was still overwhelmed with heartache that she wouldn't let herself hope too much. It could be someone else. That's why they needed them to go to her. Jennie tore herself out of Yuri's arms and walked down the porch.

"W-we have t-to go," Jennie stammered, looking around for the car. "We have to get to the airport. W-where are they taking her?"

"Your mom is coming back now, I called her when I saw you coming. They're taking her to National City, sh-she'll be at the hospital when we get there. I-, we'll leave as soon as your mom gets back," Yuri explained. "How about you come inside and get changed?" Jennie shook her head, waving away Yuri's concerns as she spotted Yuri's car approaching the house.

"Rosé! Jisoo!" Yuri called, suddenly not preoccupied with getting Jennie to change. The two girls were outside instantly, and Rosé gave Jennie a tearful smile. Jisoo seemed a little more reserved with her joy, and Jennie figured that she was approaching this the same way she was. If it wasn't her, they would all be overwhelmed by fresh grief and heartache all over again. Chaerin didn't even turn the car off, she just slammed on the breaks and everyone crammed inside the car. They didn't even have time to put their seatbelts on before Chaerin had stepped on the gas.

She was talking on the phone while she drove, speeding down every street, and taking every corner alarmingly fast – and Jennie wasn't sure if it was because she was anxious to get them all to the airport or because her mom probably hadn't driven in years. Jennie caught snatches of conversation, and it sounded like Chaerin was on the phone to the airport, trying to ready her private jet so that they could be off as soon as possible. The nearest airport was over an hour away because Midvale wasn't big enough to warrant its own, but Jennie was sure they'd made it there in record timing, and soon enough they were piling out of the car and rushing into the building. Yuri ran over to the counter and started frantically speaking to one of the people sat behind it. As the others caught up, they could hear Yuri frantically begging, gesturing behind her at the other four of them while the man shrugged helplessly. After a moment, Chaerin sighed and stormed over to the desk, slamming her bag down on the counter and pulling out her cheque book and a pen.

"How much do you want? Twenty thousand? Fifty? Name your price," Chaerin said, her pen poised over the paper as she stared at him with a raised eyebrow.