Chapter 5

Jennie jumped at the sound of her phone vibrating. She'd been sat in her office, the blinds drawn as she worked on some paperwork. Her concentration broken, she picked up her phone, smiling slightly when she saw Lisa's name.

"Hi," Jennie smiled, leaning back in her chair.

"Hi! So I'm just about to leave now," Lisa told Jennie.

"Um, Lisa this is Jennie," Jennie replied, confused as to why Lisa was calling her this late.

"I- I know? I thought we, um, were going to the zoo today?" Jennie could hear the confusion and questions in Lisa's voice.

"Today? Wha- it's Friday night," Jennie told her, frowning as she picked up her coffee and took a sip.

"It's nine o'clock on Saturday morning, are you okay?" Lisa asked, slightly concerned. Jennie frowned, clicking the button to raise the blinds covering the windows as she swivelled her chair around. She winced as bright sunlight streamed in, momentarily blinding her.

"What the fuck," Jennie hissed, spinning her chair around so the sun was to her back, "sorry, excuse me". She could hear Lisa laughing on the other end as she blinked away the black spots on her eyes.

"Um, just give me a minute," Jennie told Lisa, all but running to her bathroom, "I'll meet you outside the zoo?"

"We can reschedule if you want," Lisa offered.

"No, no, I'll see you soon," Jennie promised, saying goodbye and stepping under the hot water.

After a shower so quick that it even surprised Jennie, she ran to her closet, pulling out the first thing her hands fell on. Within twenty minutes she was rushing out of her apartment, sliding into the back seat of her car as the driver shut the door behind her.

-----

"Sorry I'm late," Jennie apologised as she walked over to Lisa, who smiled at the sight of her.

"It's no problem," Lisa waved away her apology, holding a coffee out towards Jennie, "I didn't know if you'd had enough time to get a coffee. Cappuccino right?"

"Yes, thank you," Jennie smiled gratefully, taking a sip.

"I already bought our tickets," Lisa told her, holding out two pieces of paper to the woman in the booth, who waved them through.

"Thank you," Jennie smiled, contemplating whether or not try and offer Lisa some money to reimburse her. She didn't want to offend her, but Jennie wasn't used to people buying things for her, she'd always paid her own way; one of the perks of having money.

"You look tired. Late night?" Lisa asked, sipping her own coffee as she led them through the tunnel and into the zoo.

"Mm, paperwork, and lots of it," Jennie explained, "I didn't realise how much time had passed when you called."

"Wait, you haven't slept all night?" Lisa said sharply, turning to face Jennie.

"I'm a bit of a night owl," Jennie shrugged, "sometimes when I can't sleep I catch up on some paperwork."

"We could've just rescheduled," Lisa said, taking in Jennie's weary expression, faint shadows under her eyes that weren't completely covered by her makeup.

Jennie snorted, "please, one sleepless night never harmed anyone. Besides, I believe you promised me hand holding?"

Lisa smiled, reaching out and taking Jennie's hand, intertwining their fingers. Jennie blinked in surprise, staring down at her hand clutched in Lisa's, and Lisa's smile dropped as her eyes widened.