Chapter 9

"Hello," Jennie said, answering her phone.

"Good morning!"

Just hearing Lisa's voice was enough to bring a slight smile to Jennie's face.

"Someone's happy this morning," Jennie noted, a warm feeling spreading through her body as Lisa laughed.

"Aren't I always?" she quipped.

"Hmm, yes, but you sound even happier than usual, which is saying something," Jennie mused, standing up and fetching a folder off her bookshelf. She sat back down behind her desk and opened it, flipping through the pages with one hand as the other pressed her phone to her ear.

"Well I just go the news that I go back to work on Monday!" Lisa's excitement was palpable through the phone and Jennie smiled.

"That's great... wh-, um, where are you going to be stationed?" Jennie asked hesitantly, her stomach filling with dread at the thought of Lisa being stationed far away.

"Isn't it! I'll be stationed at Fort Rozz, so it's just outside the city," Lisa explained.

"Oh, well that's good," Jennie agreed, "does-, how-, uh, would you come home on your days off?"

"I won't be living on base, it's like a forty-minute drive so I'll be staying with Rosé!"

She sounded excited at the prospect of staying in National City, and Jennie was silently relieved. Not that she would ever want Lisa to hold back from her career just because Jennie finally had a friend. Or maybe more than a friend. She was still a bit confused about what they were doing.

"That's... really great, Lisa. We should go out and celebrate," Jennie suggested.

"Well that's why I was calling actually," Lisa told her, "I was wondering if you were free on Sunday?"

Suddenly, Jennie was completely free all day. She would have Somin cancel all of her meetings, and would skip going into the office. It was a Sunday anyway, so it wasn't a particularly busy day for her. Jennie only worked weekends because she hadn't had anything better to do until she had met Lisa, and now it was just a habit.

"Completely. Why, what did you have in mind?" Jennie asked curiously.

"Great! And it's a surprise, so you'll have to wait and see," Lisa told her, and Jennie could hear the smugness in her voice. She rolled her eyes as she smiled down at the reports in front of her.

"Just make sure you wear something casual, and wear sensible shoes," Lisa told her.

Jennie laughed, "Okay, I will. I'll see you on Sunday then."

"Okay! I'll message you tonight and let you know more. Bye!"

-----

On Sunday, Jennie was up early and ready way before Lisa was supposed to be picking her up. Not knowing what to expect, she'd put on a blouse and a pair of her casual pants that she wore around the house, hoping that it was casual enough.

At nine o'clock Jennie's phone started vibrating. She eagerly picked it up, sliding across to answer.

"Hey, I'm outside! Do you want me to come up, or are you ready to go?" Lisa's cheerful voice came through.

"I'm ready. I'll be down in a minute," Jennie replied, smiling as she fetched her bag and hung up.

A few moments later she was outside her building, face to face with Lisa, who was leaning against the side of a car. She pushed off it and smiled widely at Jennie, opening her arms for a hug. Jennie smiled as she walked forwards and let Lisa wrap her arms around her just for a moment.