Chapter 18

The next week passed by quickly. Lisa was constantly busy with work and making plans for her deployment, and Jennie tried to keep herself busy at the office whenever Lisa wasn't around. She kept her emotions on a tight leash around Lisa, not wanting to break down again, but at J-Corp she found herself irritable, and snapped at the staff at the slightest inconvenience.

Jennie found herself gravitating towards Rosé. She was about to lose her sister, and Jennie sought comfort with her. Still, there was an overwhelming pit of sadness growing bigger every day as the date of deployment neared. Jennie had always been alone, she had found it comforting, but now, she couldn't imagine not being able to see Lisa every day. She didn't want to be alone.

It was Friday night, and Jennie was at Rosé's apartment, typing away at her keyboard as she waited for Lisa to come home from work. She'd spent three nights at Rosé's place this week, at Rosé's insistence, so that Lisa could spend time with both her sister and her girlfriend.

The sound of a key in the lock caught Jennie's attention, and she perked up, a smile curling the corners of her lips. Lisa pushed the door open, groaning loudly as she shuffled over the threshold. "Hey, busy day?" Jennie asked, closing her laptop and standing up.

"Hey you," Rosé called from the other end of the sofa, looking away from the TV to smile at Lisa.

"I'm sooo tired," Lisa grumbled, kissing Jennie on the cheek as she slipped her boots off.

"We got takeaway, there's leftovers in the fridge," Rosé told her, changing the channel to a crime documentary.

"I'll heat some up for you whilst you shower," Jennie murmured, trailing a thumb over Lisa's cheek as she smiled at her.

"You're the best," Lisa smiled, her nose wrinkling slightly. Jennie pulled back and walked into the kitchen whilst Lisa walked down the hallway. She scraped some noodles onto a plate and shoved it into the microwave.

"Hey, Rosé, do you mind if I make some coffee?" Jennie asked.

"Oh my God, you literally ask every time. Just take whatever you want, but don't touch Jisoo's vegan ice cream or she'll probably shoot you," Rosé laughed.

"Wouldn't dream of it," Jennie smiled, setting a pot of coffee to brew. "Do you want a cup?"

"Sure," Rosé called back, absorbed in the bloody crime scene displayed on the screen. The microwave beeped and Jennie pulled out the steaming food, setting it on the counter before pulling out three mugs. She poured coffee into them and carried hers and Rosé's over to the sofa.

"Thanks," Rosé murmured, taking the cup off Jennie whilst her eyes remained glued to the TV. "I bet you ten dollars it's the boyfriend's brother."

"Piss off, I'm not falling for this again. You win every time, and I'm not stupid," Jennie scoffed. Rosé rolled her eyes, smirking as she took a sip of her coffee.

"Damn, I guess I'll have to pay for my own coffee tomorrow then," Rosé said.

Lisa walked out of the hallway, dressed in her pyjamas and a towel held in her hands as she dried her wet hair. "Trying to con her again?" Lisa asked, raising her eyebrows as she looked at them both with an amused look on her face.

"Luckily, I learn from my mistakes, so my fortune is still intact," Jennie smiled at Lisa. "Your food's on the counter, and there's coffee in the pot."

"It only took you, what, six losses?" Rosé asked, a smug look crossing her face. "I guess your pride couldn't handle another one, huh?"