Chapter 44

Jennie didn't even go home, she just threw all of her work into her briefcase and left the office, giving Somin instructions to feed and walk Kuma, and caught a cab straight to the station, where she bought a ticket for the next train to Midvale. The train ride was long and lonely and Jennie wished that Lisa was here, or even Rosé or Jisoo. It was completely dark by the time that the train pulled into the station, and Jennie got into one of the cabs waiting outside and gave the driver directions to Yuri's.

She was exhausted by the time she was knocking on the front door, and she burst into tears the moment that Yuri opened the door and pulled her into a hug. Five minutes later Jennie found herself sat on the sofa wearing a pair of Lisa's pyjamas, and nursing a cup of coffee as Yuri wrapped a blanket around her.

"Okay, now are you going to tell me what's wrong?" Yuri asked, brushing the hair out of Jennie's face. Ducking her head, Jennie tried to avoid looking at the woman out of embarrassment for her breakdown.

"It's fine, it was just my mom," Jennie mumbled, toying with the handle on the mug.

"Okay," Yuri said slowly. "So is it about your engagement? Lisa said she doesn't approve."

"Yeah, it's about that. She doesn't think it's a good idea," Jennie said.

"And?" Yuri asked, and Jennie looked up at her in surprise.

"And she's my mom," Jennie told her.

"Mhm, she is, and I don't know about your past, but from what I've seen, she loves you very much. I don't think she's trying to hurt you, sweetie, you just have different opinions. But then, haven't you always? It's not a bad thing to have different opinions," Yuri said. Jennie sighed heavily, shrugging her shoulders as she tried to think of something to say.

"Listen, I'm not picking sides here, honey, but you know that I will always defend my girls, right? So just know that I want what's best for you when I say this. You're stubborn. It's not a bad thing or a good thing, it's just who you are as a person. Your mom is stubborn too, and when you fight it's usually because you're at odds with each other, but that doesn't mean one of you is right and the other wrong, it just means you have different opinions. I think you need that, sweetheart, you need someone who pushes you to think things through, and I'm not talking about when your mom tried controlling things when you were younger, I'm talking about your common goals. She wants you to be happy, honey, she just wants to make sure you get there in one piece."

"How can you say she wants me to be happy when she's fighting me on the thing that will make me happy?" Jennie asked.

"Because she's scared for you, and if I'm being honest, I'm scared for you and Lisa too. I'm sure you won't get married for another year or so, but the fact is, you have rushed into things. Deep down you know that you have, and you know it's because you're scared. Don't get me wrong, dear, I'm not trying to say that you don't love my daughter enough because it's only been ten months. Time is irrelevant when it comes to love, and I know that it wouldn't make a difference if she proposed now or in a year's time, because you both love each other and that's all that matters. But you're scared and your mom can see that, she always sees your doubts and then she raises them, and you don't like that. No one likes it when they're confronted or criticized, they raise their defenses, and yours happen to be cutting people off and pushing them away. Again, I'm not blaming you, but you need someone who can make you face that, otherwise I'm scared that you're not going to be prepared for reality, honey. Your mom said that Lisa might not come back, and well, she's right. She might not. That'll be heartbreaking for you, trust me, I know what it's like to have the person you love not come home, and it will tear you to pieces. You'll need your family around if that happens. When she comes home though, that's going to be a big adjustment for you both. You're going to be moving in together properly and trying to plan a wedding, which is stressful enough, and Lisa's going to be trying to adjust again. There's going to be a lot going on, and I'm not saying you can't handle it, I'm just saying that your mom is trying to keep your feet on the ground so you don't float away with the fairies," Yuri laughed quietly, giving Jennie a quick squeeze.