Chapter 37

"No!"

The yell tore Jennie from her sleep, and she shot up in bed, quickly turning to face Lisa who was sat next to her, breathing heavily. Jennie's hands fluttered nervously over Lisa, but she was hesitant to touch her, unsure whether Lisa wanted her to or not.

"Hey, you're okay, you're home," Jennie murmured, looking at Lisa with concern. After a few moments Lisa turned to face Jennie and gave her a small smile, squinting slightly as she tried to make out Jennie's face. Quickly reaching for her glasses, she slid them on and looked back over at Jennie with a slightly bigger smile.

"Good morning," Lisa said, leaning over to give Jennie a slow kiss before she flopped back down on the bed. Jennie frowned slightly as she looked at Lisa, who was smiling and holding her arms open.

"Lisa-" Jennie started, but was cut off before she could continue.

"I'm fine, Jennie. It was just a bad dream," Lisa said, giving her a half smile.

With a small sigh, Jennie cuddled up next to Lisa and threw one arm across her, holding her tightly. "Do you want to talk about it?" Jennie asked.

"No," Lisa whispered. "Not right now."

After a quick pause, Jennie decided not to push her. Lisa always told her what was bothering her when she was ready. Instead, they both lay there in each other's arms, and Jennie listened to Lisa's steady heartbeat while Lisa trailed her fingers in swirling patterns over Jennie's back.

They stayed that way until the sky started to lighten outside, and the weak early morning sun started shining through a gap in the curtains. Lisa was running her fingers through Jennie's hair, and Jennie felt her take a deep breath as if to steady herself.

"So, we, uh, we need to talk... about me re-enlisting," Lisa said slowly. Jennie carefully extracted herself from Lisa's arms and sat up, swinging her legs over the side of the bed and pushing herself up.

"Can't we just have breakfast first?" Jennie asked, running a hand through her hair as she turned to look at Lisa with a grim look on her face.

Lisa sighed as she reached out for Jennie, before letting her arm flop back down on the bed when Jennie didn't make a move to get back into the bed. "Jennie, you can't just keep avoiding the conversation," Lisa told her.

"I'm not avoiding it. I'd just prefer to not have it right now," Jennie replied.

"Jennie, please," Lisa said, giving her a pained look.

"Lisa, I-" Jennie started.

"I'm not re-enlisting, you donut!" Lisa exclaimed, cutting Jennie off with a laugh as she rolled her eyes.

Jennie's brain took a moment to register Lisa's words and she blinked in surprise. She opened and closed her mouth a few times as she tried to make sense of what she'd just heard. "Wha-, I don't understand. Y-you're not re-enlisting? Ever?" Jennie said slowly, tilting her head to the side as she frowned.

"Never ever," Lisa said, grinning up at Jennie as she sat huddled in the blankets.

All the air rushed out of Jennie's lungs and she let out a breathless laugh, before jumping on the bed. She tackled Lisa and pinned her down beneath her, smiling widely as her eyes welled up with tears. Leaning down, Jennie pressed kisses all over Lisa's face as they both laughed.