Chapter 26

Overtired, Jennie woke up late the next morning, cursing as she remembered she was having lunch with her mother today, as if a board meeting wasn't bad enough. With a sigh, she sat up, gently opening the photo album and flipping through a few pages, smiling at the sight of Lisa's face. She put it down on the nightstand next to her bed, and stood up and went over to her closet to find something suitable to wear.

After a quick shower, Jennie put on a pencil skirt and a shirt, checking her reflection in the mirror before agreeing that it was appropriate. She wanted to make sure she looked good so that her mom wouldn't be able to criticise her for anything small – Jennie was sure there would be something big to criticise though.

She found breakfast waiting for her in the fridge in the form of yogurt and granola, courtesy of her chef. After inhaling it as fast as she could without choking, she made her way down to her waiting car, internally groaning at the thought that Somin wouldn't be there to bring her coffee and, due to oversleeping, didn't have enough time to get her own.

The elevator doors opened and Jennie caught sight of Chaerin, her back to Jennie as she conversed with one of the other board members. Stepping out, Jennie shrugged her coat off, and handed it and her handbag to one of the interns standing close by. At the sound of the intern wished Jennie a good morning, Chaerin turned around, her eyes locking onto her daughter.

"Jennie," Chaerin said, walking over and giving her a smile. It wasn't quite a warm smile, but it lacked the usual iciness that usually accompanied it when she was talking to her daughter.

"Mother," Jennie replied stiffly, giving her a small nod.

Chaerin held out one of the takeaway cups of coffee she held. "You still prefer cappuccinos, correct?"

Jennie accepted the coffee warily, but grateful that she wouldn't have to sit through the meeting without caffeine. "Thank you," Jennie muttered awkwardly, not sure how to feel about the kind gesture.

"Well, we should go in. The meeting starts soon," Chaerin told her, before striding towards the door to the conference room and going inside. Jennie sighed slightly, before following her in to start the meeting.

-----

The meeting seemed to drag, but Jennie was grateful that it was actually one of the shorter meetings they'd had. At last, the remaining point was covered and the last question answered, and the meeting was adjourned. As everyone packed up, Jennie shook hands and said goodbyes, before walking out to reclaim her coat and bag.

"Ready for lunch?" Chaerin asked, materialising at Jennie's side. "I made a reservation at this new French restaurant that just opened up."

"Let's go," Jennie said, pushing the button on the elevator and stepping inside as soon as the doors opened. She crossed her arms over her chest, remaining silent for the entire duration of the elevator ride and the car ride to the restaurant. Chaerin made a few comments about the board meeting, but Jennie provided no input.

They walked through the doors of the restaurant, and Jennie wasn't the least bit surprised at the obvious fanciness of the place as they were escorted to their table. Chaerin would never eat anywhere with less than a five-star rating.

Chaerin rejected the drinks menu, ordering a bottle wine for the table instead, and Jennie didn't argue, knowing that it would be good. They were silent as they scanned the menu, and Jennie ended up ordering the quail before handing the menu to the waiter. They sat there staring at each other for a moment, before Chaerin lifted her glass of wine and took a sip before speaking.