Chapter 16

It was the day of the gala, and Jennie was rushed off her feet all day, making last minute decisions and adjustments. She was determined to make sure everything was perfect, if only to deny her mother the satisfaction of criticising Jennie's event.

She had Somin pick up hers and Lisa's outfits for the gala, and had Lisa's sent to Rosé's apartment. Jennie would pick her, Rosé and Jisoo up on her way to J-Corp. Lisa had also invited Mino, but he was going to meet them there.

At five o'clock, Jennie's car pulled up outside Rosé's apartment. Getting out of the car, she told her driver to wait, and went inside. Walking up several flights of stairs, Jennie clutched the bouquet of flowers tightly in one hand. She came to a stop outside Rosé's door and straightened the jacket of her suit before knocking.

Lisa opened the door, a bright smile on her face as she took in the sight of Jennie. "Hi! I like your dress," Lisa smiled, leaning in to give her a kiss.

Jennie looked at Lisa with surprise. "Oh, no glasses?" she asked, smiling widely as she looked at Lisa. Jennie had seen her without glasses before, but not for longer than a few minutes.

"I thought contacts would be a welcome change for tonight," Lisa smiled.

"Thank you, they're beautiful." accepting the flowers that Lisa held out for her.

"Not as beautiful as you," Lisa blurted out, blushing slightly as she stared at Jennie. She did look beautiful in the suit she had picked out from the dozens of options Jennie had provided. Lisa's smile wavered for a second, and she turned around, opening the door wider so Jennie could come inside.

Trailing behind her, Jennie frowned slightly. "I-is everything okay?" she asked, her voice full of concern. She said a quick hello to Rosé and Jisoo, who were sat on the sofa, waiting to leave.

"Fine," Lisa said, turning to give Jennie a quick smile before walking into the kitchen. "I'll just be like five minutes, sorry. I had to go into work earlier so I'm running a bit behind."

"It's fine, there's no rush," Jennie reassured her, smiling at Lisa. She didn't know what it was, but there was something off about Lisa. She was less cheery than usual and Jennie didn't like it. Lisa said she was fine though, and Jennie didn't want to push her. If there was something Lisa wanted her to know, she would tell Jennie when she was ready.

-----

Half an hour later, Jennie's car pulled up outside of J-Corp. Her driver stepped out and opened the door for the four of them to step out. Jennie climbed out of the car to the flashing of cameras as the paparazzi outside rushed forward to snap some photos of the young CEO. Jennie raised her chin, steeling herself against the bombardment of cameras and reporters.

Turning around slightly, Jennie held her hand out for Lisa and helped her out of the car. Jennie held on tightly, her face like stone as she faced the crowd with Lisa on her arm. She ignored the questions being shouted at her by the reporters, and made her way to the entrance of the building.

Walking through the open doors, Jennie let out a breath she didn't know she was holding, her shoulders sagging with relief. She gave Lisa, Rosé and Jisoo an apologetic smile. "Sorry about that."

"So I guess you'll be front and centre tomorrow, huh?" Rosé said, giving Jennie a sympathetic look. It was no secret that Jennie hated the lack of privacy her position afforded her.