Chapter 23

It was their last day in Midvale, and just three days before Lisa was being deployed, and Jennie was quiet all morning, not wanting the trip to end. For the most part, she'd been able to not think about Lisa leaving. Surrounding herself with Lisa's family had allowed her to put aside all her worries and just enjoy her time in Midvale.

They weren't leaving until that evening, on the last train, so they spent the morning around the house. Jennie was sat on the sofa next to Lisa when Yuri walked in with a big smile on her face.

"Jennie, come here for a second, sweetie," she said, tearing Jennie's attention away from the TV. "I have something for you to see."

Curious, Jennie pushed herself up and followed Yuri out to the kitchen, and Lisa followed too to see what all the fuss was about. She let out a loud groan as she peered past Jennie and saw the boxes on the kitchen table.

"I thought you might like to see some photographs of Lisa when she was younger," Yuri told her, sitting down at the table and opening one of the boxes to reveal stacks of photo albums.

"No! No photos," Lisa whined, trying to pull Jennie back.

"Little Lisa? Now this is something I have to see," Jennie laughed, shaking off Lisa's grip and walking over to the table to sit down next to Yuri.

"That's not fair! I haven't gotten to see any of you!" Lisa complained as she followed Jennie over to the table and plopped down in a chair, sulking slightly.

Jennie barked a laugh at the thought of photos of her. "I'm not sure there are any," she told Lisa, "we do actually have some family photos, but they're ugly posed things. Although, I'm sure you could find some from the events and paparazzi if you searched for them. You know, if you were that desperate."

"Maybe I will," Lisa challenged her, smiling to herself as Jennie rolled her eyes.

After quickly searching through the boxes, Yuri found the one with the correct date on the spine and pulled it out, laying it flat on the table and opening it to the first photo.

It was Lisa, probably just after her parent's death, sat in the middle of the Manoban family on a sofa. Jennie tilted her head to the side as she smiled down at the photo, taken with a polaroid camera.

"This was the day Rosé met Lisa for the first time. Eunhyuk and I had already met her and decided on adoption, but you know, two teenage girls under one roof," Yuri explained, laughing quietly.

She flipped to the next page and Jennie smiled at the photo. There was Lisa, sat cross-legged in the middle of a bed, smiling whilst a pair of big glasses and bangs covered half of her face. Jennie laughed, "Look how cute you were."

Lisa's cheeks turned red with embarrassment as they flipped through the pages and pages of photos. There was Lisa stood next to Rosé, both of them dressed in soccer uniforms. Lisa smiling whilst surrounded by dogs as she volunteered at the animal shelter one summer. Rosé frowning at the camera whilst Lisa sat next to her, leaning forward and smiling brightly.

There was one of Lisa dressed in a baseball uniform, holding a bat as she smiled, and Yuri laughed at the same time that Lisa groaned. "Lisa decided to take up baseball when she was fourteen. This was just before her first and only match where she swung at the ball and ended up throwing that bat instead, and knocking out the pitcher," Yuri told Jennie, who laughed as she rounded on a guilty looking Lisa.

"I still feel bad about that," Lisa winced, "after that I decided to stick to watching baseball instead."

There were a few photos of Lisa dressed in a cheerleading uniform, and Jennie choked on her coffee as she looked at those. She vowed to never let Lisa live that down, because no matter how rich and prissy Jennie was, at least she'd never been a cheerleader.