Chapter 18: The Destroyer.

"Destroyer alert! Destroyer alert! All citizens, evacuate at once! All adventurers, equip yourselves and report to the guild!"

Citizens panicked at this message, quickly packing up their things and leaving their homes.

"Kazuma! DIO! We're running so far away! We're running all night and day!" Aqua yelled holding up a wagon.

"Huh?"

"Fight the mobile fortress, Destroyer? Are you out of your mind, Kazuma?" Megumin said.

"Can someone explain to me what this 'Destroyer' thing is already?"

"It's an ancient weapon that went berserk. They say it leaves nothing in its wake, not even a blade of grass." Darkness responded darkly.

Kazuma gulped, "Hey, guys, let's get to the guild."

"Why?" Aqua yelled.

"We worked so hard to get this house! Like hell we're giving it up without a fight! Right DIO?"

"Heh, your bravado is inspiring Kazuma. Yes, you're absolutely right!"

"D-DIO!?" Aqua yelled again.

"Sorry Aqua, but I'm staying to fight it. Even if I am the only one to do so, I, DIO, shall utterly destroy it."

。。。。。

"You are this city's last bastion of help. We will be indebted to your bravery so long as we live."

"At present, the mobile fortress, Destroyer, is approaching from the northwest on a direct course for the city. Estimated time of arrival: one hour."

"Umm, the Destroyer was created by an ancient magical kingdom, correct? Did not any of the creators leave behind any countermeasures?" A wizard girl asked.

"They were the first to perish in the Destroyer's rampage."

"If only Mitsurugi-san were here right now." One man said.

Y/N scoffed at this, and sighed.

"Let's get the heck out of here before it destroys us." Chris the thief said.

"No, we cannot. The townspeople will lose their homes." Darkness replied.

"Hey, you," Chris said poking Kazuma, "got any bright ideas?"

"Hmmm, Aqua, think you can break through its barrier?"

"Huh? Maybe, but I won't know until I try."

"Hmmm, if we were to use a powerful blast of offensive magic then . . . " Y/N said speculating.

"We have it." Someone said from behind.

"Yeah, the crazy girl!"

"The crazy girl, yes, yes!"

"H-Hey, wait! Are you talking about me? Don't call me that!"

"Megumin, your Explosion is the strongest magic we can muster right now. Can you do it?"

"U-Umm, I-I don't think my Explosion can take it down with a single cast."

A sigh was let out by everyone.

"S-Sorry I'm late!" Wiz said running up. "I'm the proprietor of Wiz's Magical Tool Shop. I'm a qualified adventurer, so I've come to help." She finished.

"It's the shopkeeper!" Someone yelled.

"The penniless shopkeeper is here!" Another said.

"We can win this! We can beat it!" Another person finished.

"Hmm? Why is Wiz so famous?" Y/N asked.

"Don't you know? She used to be a master archwizard back in the day."

"Alright everyone, the emergency quest starts now!" 

{Defend the City from the Mobile Fortress, Destroyer!!}

Darkness and Y/N stood next to each other, waiting for the enemy to appear.

"Hey, Darkness, DIO, I know you like to take on strong enemies, but you might want to set aside your fetishes and pride for this one and join me at the rear-"

"Given my usual behavior, I can see why you would assume that. But do you really think I'm such a slave to my own desires?" Darkness said in a serious tone.

"Yeah. Obviously."

"Wha-! A-Ahem. I must defend the inhabitants of this city. They might not consider it such, but I feel that it is my duty."

"Why's that? Any reason?" Kazuma asked her.

Darkness smiled, "My real name is Dustiness Ford Lalatina. I'm heiress of the Dustiness family, whose fiefdom includes this region."

"You're nobility?!" Kazuma yelled.

"Don't tell the others." She said looking at Y/N and Kazuma.

"I am a knight. Protecting the livelihoods of my countrymen is both my duty and my honor. I'm sorry for being so selfish and stubborn."

"I hate it when certain archpriest is selfish, it makes me want to slap her silly. But for you for a reason like that? I don't mind."

Kazuma paused.

"Lalatina." He finished.

"Don't you dare call me that!"

Kazuma and Y/N laughed.

"What about you DIO? What's your reason." Kazuma asked.

"Hmph, mine isn't as noble and heroic as Darkness's. The main thing that fuels me, is my burning passion to be number one. And I, DIO, shall accomplish that no matter what."