Water Friend - Minayeon

Part 2 to Water Friend

Nayeon had gone two years without seeing Mina again. She would go to the same dock, hoping she would show up. But to her dreams, she wouldn't. She began to think she had dreamt the whole thing up, but when seals would come near her and play with her, she knew it wasn't. Before the seals would just take the food she brought and leave her be. But now, they lounged around her and played in the water with her.

At home, she packed her bag ready for the day at the beach. As she put more food in the bag for one of her favorite seals, her roommate came down screaming.

"We have to go to the aquarium!!" Jeongyeon shouted.

"Why? We live near the beach isn't that good enough?" Nayeon asked her.

"Look!" She shoved her phone in her face, showing her the article. Nayeon skimmed over it, reading about the aquarium's new addition and discovery.

"It... can't be." She frowned.

"Mermaids are real. They have the videos and everything. Test results..." Jeongyeon whispered. "LETS GO TODAY!" She was clearly excited.

Nayeon clicked on the video, seeing the fisherman pulling up the netting with the two claimed mermaids. The images were clear... The netting showed a bunch of deep sea fish... Nayeon clicked pause, recognizing the markings and coloring of the mermaids.

Mina and her friend...

"Let's go." Nayeon whispered.

The line was outrageous. They got their tickets and waited like the rest of them. Jeongyeon frowned when she saw how many people were there just to see them.

Nayeon of course was furious. How could they make a spectacle of it? Of course they would. Anything to make money of course. It was a giant tank with a curtain. Obviously to cover everyone until the big reveal. Nayeon made sure to get them up front seats, wanting to make sure it was her Mina.

When the curtains opened, she recognized them immediately. Mina and Sana... She frowned when she realized that there were divers in the tank with them, forcing them to stay in view of the audience. Mina hid behind Sana, clearly terrified of the whole thing.

"Wow.. do you think they're dangerous?" Jeongyeon asked.

"Yes." Nayeon lied. Mina wasn't.

It took a whole year before the mermaid news finally begun to die down. Nayeon had finished her schooling and had started her job at the aquarium just to be closer to Mina. And of course eventually help her out to get back home. As much as she wanted her to stay there and be with her.. She knew the poor thing was terrified.

"And this is the mermaid exhibit." Her boss smiled. "You worked with seals right?" He asked.

"And sea lions yes." Nayeon answered.

"Great. They're kind of the same thing. You'll be stationed here." He smiled. "You'll be their trainers. They're still incredibly wild, so we are learning things everyday about them. Be careful and have fun." He smiled before leaving.

Nayeon walked over to the tank, looking around at it. She saw Sana swimming near the surface of the water, obviously still trying to find a way out. She looked closer and saw Mina resting on the floor, hands in her hair. She frowned as she approached her area, placing a hand on the glass. Mina eventually looked up, recognizing her almost instantly. Nayeon pointed up, having her meet her at the surface.

"I told you she was a traitor." Sana glared at Mina.

"No I just started this job two days ago." Nayeon whispered. "I saw you when you first were out here." She frowned. "That's when I really took school seriously just so I could get this job... To help you guys get out." She explained.