CHAPTER 9

Hannah Towers' POV

After receiving a text, Justin immediately left saying that he has some important matters to attend to. Judging from his frowned reaction when he read his message, I think something huge must have happened that made him rush back to his office.

After he left, I immediately went back inside to look for Mr. Shaw. I'm really ashamed for what Justin did. He was so rude just barging in and glare at my manager. What if Mr. Shaw is displeased and will reprimand me for wasting office hours and using it for my personal concern? Will he kick me out? I wouldn't want that to happen.

I spotted him talking to one of the writers. I approach him just as they finished their conversation.

"Uhm, Mr. Shaw" I shyly call out to him.

"Oh, Hannah. How is your LQ going on?" he smiles knowingly at me.

"What? No, it's not what you think, Mr. Shaw. We...uh,that Mr. Royce is not my boyfriend or anything. He was just an..." I struggle to find the right word. "Uh, just a friend."

I twist my fingers as Mr. Shaw raises an eyebrow, not believing what I said but I continue speaking. "And I apologize for his intrusion and for disappearing like that. I'm sorry Mr. Shaw. It won't happen again."

Mr. Shaw chuckles. "No worries Hannah. It's okay."

He pats my shoulder and goes on his way to his main office. I breathe a sigh of relief. He's such a kind manager.

I walk back to my desk and resume on my editing. The rest of the day went by quickly and by the time I finished the last article for today, Claire is by my side looking very excited.

"Let's go, Hannah." She urges me happily. "The others are already outside."

For a second, I feel guilty since I will be declining her invitation. Miss Catherine, the assistant manager is treating us all for a drink downtown to celebrate her birthday. She made the announcement a while ago and even Mr. Shaw approved since today's Friday.

"Uh, I'm sorry, Claire. Just as I want to join you and get wasted tonight, I can't."

Claire's shoulders drop. "Why not?"

"I have my one-on-one tutorial tonight." I explain to her. Since Ava has an upcoming exam, she has asked me for a tutorial tonight and I already agreed to her yesterday.

Claire pouts in dismay. "Aw, that's too bad, Hannah. It would be more fun if you come with us."

"Yeah, I miss having fun too. Maybe next time then?"

She smiles and nods. "Sure."

I pick my bag and together, we head outside the lobby. The rest of our officemates are already waiting outside.

Suddenly, my eyes spot a familiar figure standing outside and he's attracting quiet an attention from my officemates especially the ladies. They're throwing him simple glances as he stands there leaning on his black Audi and just scrolling lazily on his phone.

What the hell is he doing here?

As soon as Claire and I stepped out, he glances up and our eyes meet. I look away and simply steered Claire towards where Catherine is talking to Mr. Shaw.

"Uhm, Happy birthday, Catherine." I greet her as soon as we reach them.

Catherine smiles at me. "Oh, thank you Hannah. You coming?"

"I'm sorry, Catherine. I can't. I have plans tonight."

Catherine pouts. "What? But we have been looking forward to knowing you more."

"You're not coming?" Mr. Shaw interjects looking at me in unbelief.

I nod slightly embarrass. Now I feel more guilty for declining their invitation. I was about to apologize again when I heard an audible gasp from Claire and she pats on my arm.

"What?" I frown at Claire and she's looking excitedly at something behind me or rather someone.

I turn around only to see Justin walking up towards us with his shades on. And I get it why Claire seemed so star-stricken at him. He looks hot enough to melt a mile of North Pole. His hair is cleanly combed giving him a clean look. His long strides brought him quickly to where we are and he stops right in front of me.

"Hannah, are you not going to introduce me to your workmates?" He confidently smirks at me with a conceited look on his face. I couldn't decipher the look in his eyes behind the glasses he's wearing.

I bite my lip trying to control my nervousness. How in the world can I introduce him to them? Guys, this is Justin, my boss in bed, like that? Surely not.

"Uhm, Justin, this is our manager, Mr. Timothy Shaw, " I then point to Catherine who is already dumbstruck whike looking at Justin. "Catherine, his assistant manager and Claire, a friend of mine." I glance briefly at Justin's face assessing his reaction but he's all smiles at them. "And this is Justin Royce, a...friend."

I watch as they shake hands and I notice how a streak of challenging glare crossed Justin's blue eyes when he shook hands with Mr. Shaw. I'm not sure if Mr. Shaw cowered beneath the death glare because he has his composed formal face as he took Justin's handshake.

After the handshake is a very deafening awkward silence between us so I hastily bid my goodbyes. "Uh, we'll get going then, Mr. Shaw, Catherine and," I glance and nod at Claire. "Claire."

"Aw, it's a waste you're not coming, Hannah. I hope you can attend the seminar tomorrow then." Catherine tears her gaze away from Justin and hopefully looks at me.

"We really hope you would attend, Miss Towers." Mr. Shaw agrees.

I smile back at them. "I'll think about it. Bye. Have fun!" I wave them goodbye as Justin drags me away impatiently. How rude of him.

When we get inside his car, I notice he is glaring at me. "What?" He has the nerve to glare at me when he was so rude in front of my boss.

"What's the event tomorrow?" he asks darkly as he rest his hands on the steering wheel.

"Oh, that. Uh, they invited me to attend this so-called seminar about journalism training or something. Mr. Shaw told me this over lunch but I was thinking that I−"

"You had lunch together?"

"What?" I frown at his interruption. "Of course, we eat lunch together."

I see his hand forming into a fist and his voice is almost like a growl. "Just the two of you?"

I scoff. "No, why the hell would we? I eat lunch together with all my co-workers."

He visibly relaxes and lets out a relieved sigh. "So, are you going?"

"To the seminar?" I ask.

He nods and gazes at me keenly through hooded eyes.

"I... I don't know. I haven't decided yet." Truth is, I don't know if I deserve to be there when I know that I am just filling in a temporary position as an editor. And I have no idea what to do there if I attend. Even if Mr. Shaw himself said I am very much welcomed to be there, I still don't think I deserve it.

Justin doesn't speak anymore, seemingly satisfied with my answer and just start his car and we drive out to my apartment.

---