CHAPTER 39

Hannah Towers' POV

I gasp and immediately sit back down. The urge to pee is suddenly thrown out the window in a flash. “Justin!”

He slowly blinks and responds by lightly squeezing my hand.

“Justin, can you hear me?” I ecstatically ask. Damn. My heart is beating fast in excitement. He’s awake! Oh, thank God.

He slowly nods and raises his hand to touch my cheek. “Hannah,” he breathes out. “Y-You’re here.”

I let out a light laugh as a tears fall down my cheeks. “I’m here, Justin. I’m here.”

“If this is a dream, I don’t want to wake up. Ever.” He softly whispers as he wipes away my tears.

I smile and hold his hand on my cheek. “No, I’m really here, Justin.”

I couldn’t stop myself from crying tears of joy even when the doctor came and checked on him. I feel so elated that he already gained consciousness. The big burden on my chest is gone and I can finally breathe in normally. The doctor did the explaining of what happened to his body and recommended more rest to fully recover and observe his Blood Alcohol Concentration.

I did the courtesy of calling Mrs. Royce and Mark to inform them of the good news. They too were in high spirits as soon as I told them. When the nurses and doctor left, I sit back beside Justin while he is propped sitting with a pillow behind his back.

“How are you feeling?” I ask him and fix the blanket around his torso.

Instead of answering, he raises his uninjured hand silently asking for my hand. I sigh and obediently place my hand over his outstretched palm.

“I’m feeling fine now that you’re here.” He answers while looking down at our intertwined hands. “Hannah, we need to talk.” He suddenly declares in a serious tone and my heart skips a beat.

I told myself a hundred times while he was unconscious that I will be willing to have our proper closure but hearing it now is making me uneasy. I realise I am not yet ready to have a last talk with him.

“Uh, can we do that sometime? Once you get better, we’ll have a proper talk.”

He exhales deeply and closes his eyes momentarily probably considering my offer. When he opens his eyes again, he didn’t say anything.

“Uhm, your Mom called a while back.” I speak trying to lighten the tension. “Why did you change her name from Honeybunch?”

“No reason.” He quietly replies shutting my attempt to have a normal conversation.

“And also Mark came by.”

He sighs and looks up. I don’t know what he’s thinking right now but as for me, I feel an awkward atmosphere between us. Maybe it’s the fact that we had a big argument the last time we saw each other. And then this happened that brought us together again. I walked out on him the last time saying I wouldn’t want to see him ever again but here I am right beside him.

“How long have I been out?” he abruptly asks.

“Uh, more than twelve hours, I think.”

The front door suddenly opens and Mark comes in. “Mr. Royce!” He greets his boss with relief before glancing at me. “Miss Towers.”

I give him a small smile while getting up to give them space. However, Justin pulls me back down holding onto my hand. I glance at him but his attention is on Mark. He gives a curt nod to Mark not minding me as I try to pull my hand from his grip but he wouldn’t budge.