CHAPTER 35

Hannah Towers' POV

I press my lips together and clasp my hands tighter in an attempt not to wail. I could feel the worried glances the driver is giving me but I ignore him and focus on not breaking down.

Yes, I cried when I first accepted his payment after our first encounter. I swallowed my dignity and worth only thinking of how to get the debts done. But now, it hurts more that he still sees me like an undignified woman whose worth can be bought with money.

It was stupid. So stupid of me for thinking that there is at least one tiny flicker of hope that he might make me stay. I was hoping that maybe somehow, he would consider the memories we made together and the times we spent with each other. But instead, he offers me more money and right there and then; I realize he sees me as something he can easily pay with his filthy money. He didn’t even consider asking me why I want out. He just went on and rubbed it in my face how he can just willingly spend millions to keep me for his own selfish pleasure.

I don’t know what’s more painful. The fact that I am leaving him or the reality that he’ll never see me as a woman but only as a tool he can just buy.

The cab stops and I look out to see a large splendid gate in front of us. I pay the driver and get out. Two security men are standing guard behind the gate. They regard me with stoic expressions probably wondering who the hell I am.

I pick my phone from my purse and calls Amber.

“Hey.” I snuffle. Hold the tears back, Hannah! I scold myself. I wouldn't want the guards to see me pathetically sobbing.

“Hannah!” Amber cheerfully greets me but her voice suddenly turns serious. “Are you crying?”

“I’m outside your home. Can I please see you?” I try harder not to let my voice crack.

I hear shuffling noise in the background. “I’m coming out, Hannah. Give your phone to one of the guards. I’ll speak to them.”

I snuffle again and approach one of the guards. I hand him my phone and Amber says something I couldn’t hear.

After a few seconds, the guard signals his companion and hands me back my phone.

“Come in, Miss Towers.” He says as soon as the gate opens. “Straight ahead, Ma’am.” He gestures the way and I walk in.

“Hannah!” Amber shouts as she comes running towards me. As soon as I saw her, I couldn’t hold back the tears anymore. Amber envelopes me with a hug and strokes my back. The pain is too much to bear right now and my knees are weakening. I let my tears fall freely as I sob onto Amber’s neck. At least with my best friend right here, I can show her my weak point.

Amber doesn’t say anything and just holds me tightly. At this moment, I bare out my emotions as the hurtful words of Justin replays in my head. Damn it! I fell deeper in love with him than I had expected and now I’m reaping the effect of allowing myself to fall this far.

If I have known that it would end up like this, I never should have accepted that damn deal. I promised myself I would be strong and tough until the end of the deal to completely pay off my father's debt but look what I got in the end. A shattered dignity and a broken heart.

I feel the immense comfort in Amber’s arms and I thank God I have her. My sobs lessen and I feel better. I sniff and slowly pull away.

Amber looks at me with sympathy as she wipes my tears with the sleeve of her sweater.

“Come on, let’s go inside.”

She holds my arm and leads the way.

“Hannah Towers.” I look up to see Tristan smiling while standing at the entrance of their mansion.