CHAPTER 53

Hannah Towers’ POV

“. . . and your lawyer is already onto it. Athalia won’t be able to file for bail now.”

The voice is quite hushed.

“I’ll make sure she will rot in prison this time.” It’s Justin. “ Any news about any accomplice this time?”

“There were none, Mr. Royce.”

“Have you finished securing Hannah’s apartment?”

“Yes, sir. The bomb was completely extracted. The place is safe now.”

I hear Justin sigh.

“Mr. Royce,” I recognize Mark’s voice. “I really think you should get some sleep.”

What? He hasn’t slept yet? What time is it?

I hear a door closing and silence followed.

I slowly open my eyes and a white spotless ceiling greets me. I blink trying to make my eyes get accustomed to the sudden brightness. I move my head to the side from where I heard the voices.

“J-Justin . . .” I whisper.

He was sitting at my bedside and he immediately leaped to his feet when I called out.

“Hannah!” His face is beaming with relief as he looks down at me with glossy eyes.

I give him a weak smile and a tear rolled off from his eye. Shit, he’s crying.

I try to move my hands to cup his cheeks but a sudden pain shoots from my left arm.

“Hannah!” He starts to panic that he pressed a button at the top of my head causing the nurses to barge into my room.

I sigh and sheepishly look at the nurses who obviously ran to get here only to find me conscious and with no emergency episode. A doctor also arrived and checked on my condition while updating me on my situation. I was out since yesterday and I had surgery to remove the bullet. He informed me that I would be wearing an arm sling for a few days to support my arm. He prescribed me rest and no heavy work for the meantime.

They left afterwards and I’m left alone with Justin. He props a pillow behind me as I sit up and I get to look closely at him. His eyes are reddish and sore evident from crying and the thought of it clenches my heart in pain. His face seems so exhausted and he really looks like he needs some sleep.

“Justin, I’m sorry.”

He stops tucking my blanket around me and  looks at me with a frown. “Sorry for what?”

“You look so tired and exhausted because of me. You should get some sleep now. I’m sorry for making you‒”

“Damn it, Hannah. If there’s anything you should be sorry about, it’s taking the bullet for me.” He grips my hand. “I-I thought I’ve lost you for a second there, Hannah.” His eyes are brimming with tears again. “I feel shitty that I’ve let that happen to you. I should be the one protecting you, not the other way around.”

“Justin, we should be protecting each other and I did what I had to do in that spur of the moment.”

“What if you didn’t make it?” his voice is an agonized whisper.

“Justin, I will always come back for you. And here I am, alive and safe . . . except for some injury.” I pout at the arm sling around my left arm limiting my movement.

“Hannah, promise me you will never do that again. Especially in front of me.”

“Can I do it behind your back then?”
He glares at me darkly and I giggle.