CHAPTER 38

Hannah Towers’ POV

The room is silent and the sound of the monitor beeping consistently is the only thing filling up the four walls of the room. I sigh again for the nth time this day as I thank God the frightening ordeal is over.

It still feels surreal but the flashing monitor beside the bed is evidence that the terrible part had passed.

I am sitting beside Justin's bed while holding onto his uninjured hand. He's sleeping peacefully with an IV drip attached to him. His injured hand has been cleaned and wrapped in a bandage. The doctor said he had alcohol poisoning and if we didn’t bring him immediately, it would have led to worse complications.  He has been dehydrated but fortunately, he's stable now. For now, we can only wait for him to wake up.

I thought I would never cry again for someone after my parents died but the image of Justin lying cold in the bed at the emergency room was too much to bear. Alcohol poisoning when not treated immediately could lead to coma or even death and I shudder at the thought. How could he drink that much? How could he just forsake his self like this?

A soft knock from the door interrupts me and I quickly dry my eyes. Amber comes in holding a large bag. She offered to get me clean clothes and I am so thankful for her even though I feel like a burden but she assured me not to worry.

“Hi.” I smile at Amber.

“Have you eaten yet?” Amber asks. I slowly shake my head.

“Oh come on, Hannah. It’s already two in the afternoon.” She grabs my hand and hands me the bag. “Here, you need to freshen up and eat something. Take a break for a moment.”

Amber rolls her eyes when she saw me hesitate. “Don’t worry, Hannah. Even if I want to punch and scold him, I’ll hold myself back and keep an eye on him.”

I sigh. It’s not that I’m worried about Amber hurting Justin. A part of me wants to stay more by his side and wait for him to open his eyes even though I don’t know how to face him and our current issue.

I enter the bathroom with the bag. Amber’s right. I should strengthen myself and eat something. I just realized I skipped lunch and breakfast. I was on edge the moment I saw Justin slumped in his car this morning that I didn’t feel any physical needs.

After a quick shower, I tried to eat but I can only take a few bites. The food seems tasteless and I suddenly miss the times when Justin would cook for me. He’s really good in cooking and his dishes suit my taste perfectly.

Even with Amber coaxing me to eat more, I cannot force the food down my throat so I just spent the next hours sitting beside Justin and occasionally squeezing his hand hoping for him to wake up. Amber stayed by my side, keeping me company but at five in the afternoon, she left since Tristan would be coming home from his business trip. A nurse comes in to check Justin’s vitals every now and then but he’s still not waking up.

Mark came by a while ago bringing Justin’s clothes. I called him using Justin's phone to inform him and he came in a hurry. He stayed for a few hours but I sent him home after much difficulty since he wanted to stay behind but I insisted that I can take care of Justin myself.

Suddenly, Justin’s phone resting on the bedside table rings and the word ‘Mom’ flashes on the screen. I gulp nervously and hesitated for a second before picking it up.

“Justin?” Mrs. Royce worried voice comes over as soon as I answer the call.

“Uh, Mrs. Royce. It’s me, Hannah.” I answer feeling unconfident to talk to her.

I hear a relieved sigh from the other line. “Oh, you’re with Justin right now?”

“Uh, yes. Mrs. Royce.”

“Mark told me what happened. So how is my Honeybunch?”

I look down at Justin still lying down with eyes closed. “H-He’s still unconscious but the doctor said he’ll soon wake up.” I clear my throat as my voice cracks and I try not to break down.

“Oh, Hannah. I wish I could be there with you and for Justin but I’m currently in France for a  business trip. As long as you’re there with him, I can rest assured that you will take great care of him.”

I take a deep breath. If only she knows how I blame myself and how I am the reason for this unfortunate incident.

“Mrs. Royce, I-I. . . I’m so sorry.”

“Hannah, please don’t. This is not your fault.”

How can she be so gentle to me after what I did to her Honeybunch? I’m sure she must have already heard what happened between us. I explained to Mark that Justin and I had a big fight before we separated yesterday afternoon so no doubt, Mark would have told Mrs. Royce.

“Hannah, don’t stress yourself overthinking too much. I am not blaming you or anything. Whatever fight you had with my son, it happens. What’s more important right now is that you are there with him and let’s hope he will soon wake up.”

Her comforting words are making me more emotional. The fight between me and Justin is not like any ordinary couple would have. It’s something that we cannot just let people know the details of it especially our close friends and family.

“Hannah,” Mrs. Royce gently speaks again when I didn’t say anything. “Thank you for being there with him. I owe you a great deal.”

“It’s the least I can do, Mrs. Royce.” I sigh. I wish I could do more than just sit here and wait for Justin to open his eyes.

We talked a bit more before we said our goodbyes and she ended the call saying she has an important meeting coming up. I put back the phone and sigh again.

I wrap my hands on his uninjured warm hand as a tear drop from my eyes. “Justin, please, wake up.”

Even with his eyes close, he still looks so dazzling in his sleep. I can hear his soft breathing and the steady rise and fall of his chest attests me that he’s alive. I look out the window as the city lights flash their own different glow as nightfall descends. Seeing this kind of view usually relaxes me but at this time, I feel sadder that my heart is filled with pain and longing.

“Justin.” I whisper fervently in hopes that he would hear me. For the next moments, I just held his hand and whispered my prayers solemnly.

“Please, don’t scare me like this, Justin.” I squeeze his hands lightly. “I cannot stand seeing you lying on this hospital bed. We can’t part ways like this. You have to wake up to hear me forgive you.”

I’ve realized I can never forgive myself if something happens to him. His last words to me were terrible, I know. His words cut deep into my soul, cutting the last strands of dignity left in me but the fear of losing him completely is something I can never take. It’s how I love him this much. Whatever his reasons are for blurting those hurtful words, I won’t hold it in my memory. Instead, I want us to have a proper closure before I  move on with my life and accept the fact that once in my life, I came across a deal with him. And that deal would stay as a deal and nothing more.

I am willing to accept it in my heart that Justin and I will only be two persons once binded by a deal. As long as I will witness how he will wake up and recover from this, I will be happy to let go of my feelings and leave for our own sake.

I sigh again then out of the blue, I had the sudden urge to pee. I stand and slowly unclasp my grip on Justin’s hand. I was about to turn but something tugs my hand back.

I look down and Justin has caught my hand in his. My gaze shoots up to his face and he’s looking up at me with eyes half open.

---

Thank you dear readers for your support.
Vote and comment always. 💕❤️
God bless and keep safe everyone 🤗😊