CHAPTER 13

Hannah Towers' POV

I wake up with an empty area beside me on the bed and groan at the dull pain on my eyes. I was not able to sleep comfortably last night. After we went to bed, I stayed wide awake and lay still in Justin’s arms while hearing his stable breathing. He really slept after saying goodnight and he kept his arms around me as if I would go away. It was so awkward for me so I somewhat froze my body and didn’t dare to move an inch, afraid that I might wake him.

I really can’t believe we just slept without having sex. Somehow, it makes me feel grateful that he didn’t take advantage of my vulnerability last night. After he laid us down, I waited minutes before I moved and it gave me time to gaze at his peaceful handsome face. His skin is incredibly flawless, his eyelashes are strikingly long. I even had the opportunity to listen to his heartbeats.

I sit up and pull off the duvet around me. I look around but Justin is nowhere to be found. I was about to stand up when a note on the bedside table catches my eye. It has that familiar handwriting.

I take it and it reads:

Good morning, Hannah. Hope you had a great sleep. I had to go early since I have important matters to attend to. Take my card and go buy anything you want and go anywhere you want as long as Mark is with you for your own safety. He will be waiting for you at the lobby. Take care. Have a great day!
-J.

I sigh, why is he still using notes when he can just text me? I glance down and a black credit card is on top of the bedside table. Oh shit, he’s letting me use this? I squeal in excitement at the thought of having the day to myself and be able to tour down New York.

I jump to the shower and gladly bath myself. After bathing, I put on a white wool sweater, jeans and a purple scarf. I look further in my bags and found my trench coat. I grab it and put it on before going out the door.

When I reach the lobby, Mark is already standing by the entrance waiting for me. He greets me formally when I approached him and he led me to a shiny luxurious car which I perceive is a black Ferrari Roma.

Damn! I can’t believe this! It’s a freaking Ferrari! He’s really a rich jerk.

So, I’ll be touring this city in this lavishly grand car. This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance for someone like me.

As soon as I enter inside the car, Mark asks me, “Where would like to go first, Miss Towers?”

“Central Park, please.” I say without hesitation. “Hallett Nature Sanctuary.” It’s a small wooded area and if my memory serves me right, it is located at the Southeastern corner of Central Park. This was where we first took a walk hand in hand with my parents.

I still remember how sweet Mom and Dad were the last time we were here. The laughter we shared is still echoing in my ears as I recall how happy we were. They promised me that we would all one day come back as one family. But that was years ago and things have undergone immensely great changes.

My idea of a happy family was shattered and my parents died leaving me all alone in this cruel world. Justin was wrong when he perceived my excitement as my eagerness to get here. In reality, I’ve always wondered if I could relive the memories I had of my happy family and to find that peace of mind in this city. I know it sounds stupid but it has always bothered me and I think I may as well try.

Tears are threatening to fall as the memories flash back and fog my mind. How did we go from a very happy, contented family to a wrecked one full of scars and mutilations?  How did my father change from a very hard working man to an addicted gambler?

“Miss Towers, are you okay?” the concerned voice of Mark interrupts my thoughts and he’s looking at me through the rearview mirror.

“Uh-huh, I’m fine.” I smile at him and glance outside to focus my attention on the sophisticated shops along the streets while we make our way through the highway.
Finally, Mark stops the car and I look out. A small woodland landscape greets me as I get off.

Mark has assured me he will just be by the car and wait for me until I decide to go on my next destination. I slowly walk around trying to remember something as I look carefully at the trees’ trunks as I pass by.

Minutes after, I found the most familiar tree at the spot I could remember. I draw near and inspect its trunk. True enough much to my surprise, the carvings were still evident but a little difficult to discern.

I graze my fingers through the hard wood to feel the outline. This was secretly engraved by my own little hands when we came here. It’s a carving of stick figures of Mom and Dad with me in between them as we hold hands together. I was so innocent and naïve at that time, feeling that the world is revolving around us and nothing could ever change.

The faint sound of a phone vibrating from a distance interrupts my thoughts and I look behind me. I spot Mark standing a few meters away from me as he takes his phone from his coat and answers it. I frown, I thought he said he would wait at the car for me.

I sigh turning around and start walking ahead and Mark follows me maintaining a good distance between us. Gosh, he’s really acting as my bodyguard today.

Minutes later, I arrive at the Pond which is the known area for its lovely sunset views. Forsythia trees are planted around contributing to the calming effect of the atmosphere. I could spot some couples huddling together as they stare at the clear waters of the Pond.

I walk further towards the Sheep Meadow and hundreds of people are having their picnic and hanging out with their family. I feel a tinge of jealousy as I scan the landscape before me. Each of them is happily chilling out and I feel like I am the only one here out of place. They have their families with them or someone special as they walk around in admiration.

I walk further and pass by the famous Alice in Wonderland Statue. I see children excitedly gathering around the figures and staring at them in awe. I remember how I also reacted when we visited these statues before. A lot of them are taking pictures with their children and the smiles on their faces remind me of those bittersweet memories.

After a few more hours sightseeing and eating around Central Park, I informed Mark that I would like to go window shopping. He diligently drives me to Fifth Avenue where the famous shops are. Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, Valentino, Armani and many more iconic shops amazed me as soon as I get off. Even though, I have Justin’s black credit card, I hesitated spending much. Maybe I am not just used to this kind of luxury so I just bought a few items.

I had lunch alone since Mark refused to eat with me reasoning that it’s not within his line of work. After lunch, I resumed my shopping and after a few turns around the streets, my phone beeps.

Justin: Come back to the hotel now.

My eyebrows crease with his cold message. I sense something is wrong. I glance at my wristwatch. It’s 5:30 in the afternoon. I sigh and signals Mark to drive me back at the hotel. I think I know where this is going.

---