CHAPTER 23

Hannah Towers’ POV

I close my eyes in sheer frustration while trying not to cry. I clutch my belly as the severe contractions simultaneously rip through my uterus. Damn it!

I just woke up this morning with dysmenorrhea and I couldn’t even get up from my bed. I glance at the small clock on my bedside table and it reads 6:50. So I’ve been turning and writhing on my bed for at least 30 minutes. I face down and scream furiously on my pillow. I should have gone and bought some pain relievers yesterday when the pain subsided. For now, I can only rely on Justin to come on time.

Justin stayed with me until ten in the evening and left after stubbornly getting my own keys from me saying he should come by again today. At first, I refused to give it to him in defense that he’s over reacting but he insisted and so I had no choice.

At that moment, I hear the faint opening of my front door. A flicker of hope lights up in me, that should be Justin then. I turn on my side facing my bedroom door while still clutching my belly.

True enough, seconds later, there’s a knock on my bedroom door before it opens and Justin comes in. He’s wearing a simple black shirt and jeans with a small paper bag in his hands.

I look up at him and worry is painted all over his face as he looks down at me.
He approaches me immediately and I try to sit up as he supports me. I groan and clutch at his arm when another contraction shoots out. I grit my teeth trying to endure the pain and hold back the tears. He stays still and let me hold onto him.

The sight of him makes me want to cry. I never once thought that his appearance would make me emotional. Damn the hormones. His presence while I am experiencing this immense pain is a great comfort.

When the contractions stopped, I release my steel-grip on Justin’s arm and he places a pillow behind me as I sit and lean back on the wall. He arranges my blanket around me before getting something form the paper bag he was holding  a while ago.

“Here, I got you some pain relievers.” He hands me one before standing up. He leaves the room and comes back with  a glass of water. I quietly take it and drinks the medicine.

He then sits beside me on the bed and starts massaging my legs. “Are your legs still aching?”

I nod and look at him appreciatively. “Uhm, you don’t have to do…all this, Justin.” I softly say. I want to tell him that this was not part of our deal. I know how busy he is given that he’s a rich billionaire and I feel like I’m wasting some of his precious time.

“You haven’t eaten breakfast yet, have you?” he asks instead. “I brought some. Wait here, I’ll get it.” He leaves the room again and I hear him moving in my kitchen.

I groan when I felt a few contractions but at least they’re not as painful as before. I relax and lean back as the medicine slowly takes effect.

Minutes later, Justin comes back holding a tray. He puts it on my bedside table and I’m amazed at its content. An array of scrambled egg tacos, a pair of burritos, slices of frittata, a bowl of stir-fried vegetables and slices of apple and grapes are occupying the large tray.

“I heard fruit and vegetables are good for times like this.” He informs me as he waits for me to take the first taste.

“Did you cook all this?” I stare at the foods before me in awe.

He nods and I laugh. “You’re kidding.”

“Hannah, you underestimate my cooking skills. I cooked all this from my penthouse and brought it here.”

“You can’t fool me Justin.” I take a mouthful of the burrito. “This tastes exactly like the one they sell at Breakfast Quantum.” It's the famous eatery near my apartment where I would usually order my morning meals whenever I feel too lazy to cook. They cook a variety of dishes from different countries.

“It’s mine.” He quietly says and shrugs his shoulders.

“What?”

“Breakfast Quantum is one of the restaurants I own.”

My mouth hangs open at his proud declaration. Oh my...
I forgot, I’m talking to a billionaire.

He urges me to continue eating and I obey. As soon as I finished, he starts clearing away the tray. I push away the blanket he wrapped around me and readies myself to stand. Justin immediately jumps in front of me.

“Where are you going?” he asks apprehensively.

I laugh lightly at his over reaction. “Justin, I’m fine now. The medicine took effect.” I stand up to prove it to him. “I’ll just take a quick shower.”

“Oh, okay.” He lets a relieved sigh and watches me until I reach the bathroom.

***
Justin Royce’s POV

After ensuring that she reaches the bathroom safely, I turn in my heels and proceed to the kitchen. I have to wash the utensils she used. I move with ease around her clean kitchen thanks to yesterday’s practice. I became familiar with her kitchen since yesterday when we had dinner.

I do not know but she makes me do these stuffs for her. I definitely don’t do dishwashing and cleaning the kitchen. Heck, I hire housekeepers to do them for me but here I am doing these things myself.
After washing and cleaning the sink, I dry my hands when a knock echoes from the front door.

I frown. Who would be visiting Hannah today?

I unlock the door and a short girl with glasses is standing at the doorway hugging some books to her chest. She looks up at me and frowns.

“Uh, is Miss Towers in?” she asks politely.

“Uh, yeah.” I reply unsure of what to do. I realize she may be one of Hannah’s students. “Miss Towers is taking a shower.”

“Can I come in?” The short girl in front of me asks.

“Sure.”

I open the door wide enough for her and she head straight to the living room and I follow her. She sets her books on the table and sits on the couch.

“I’m Ava, by the way.” She looks up at me and grins.

“Justin.” I curtly say and sit down at the opposite seat across her.

“What were you doing here at Miss Towers'?” She pries and looks at me as she waits for an answer.

“Uh, I brought her some breakfast.” I truthfully say.

“Really?” her big eyes sparkle. “Did she eat what you brought her?”

“Of course!” I frown, confused at her question.

“No way!” Ava replies with unbelief.

“What?”

“Miss Towers usually refuses food brought to her by her suitors. She says it’s a waste to−”

“What? Suitors?”

Ava nods. “Sometimes, her suitors would bring food and flowers over but she would always refuse them or sometimes she would give it to us her students.”

I take a deep breath. Something I heard makes my blood boil. Suitors, she said. Not singular. “Ava, do you remember when was the last time her suitors came?”

She rolls her eyes and looks up at the ceiling. “Uhm, two months ago, I think.”

I release the air I didn’t know I had been holding. So Hannah’s suitors stopped coming before we met. If they come back now, I think I might do something.

“Uhm, Justin?” Ava’s inquisitive voice comes back on. “What’s your relationship with Miss Towers? She doesn’t have siblings and she never talked about any new suitors these past weeks so I wonder…” she stops deliberately trying to make me speak out.

I look at this young girl in front of me. She’s so short that I think she’s still in grade school but Hannah says her students are teenagers. This one doesn’t seem like a teenager, she’s too... short, but she speaks like an adult.

When I didn’t speak, she looks at me boldly and asks out of nowhere. “Are you her boyfriend?”

---