CHAPTER 28

Hannah Towers’ POV

“Hannah, are you okay?” I felt Justin’s hand on my arm and I fly back to reality.

I smile at him and sip on the tea he brought us. Mrs. Royce is sitting beside me delightfully sipping on her tea as if nothing happened a while back.

As soon as she said who Amanda is, Justin came back with our cups of tea and I wasn’t able to properly process what Joana just confessed.

Amanda was Justin’s first love.

It keeps ringing in my ears but it seems so hard to understand. So Justin had his first love, so what?

But why did Joana mention death? I clearly heard her say ‘… death of Amanda.’ Did something happen?

I look at Justin and Mrs. Royce as they converse. They’re asking how each other is doing and the bond is evident in them. Justin got her mother’s blue eyes.

“It was nice coming over here. I should visit more often.” Mrs. Royce declares a few minutes later as she stands up and prepares herself to go.

She turns to Justin. “Honeybunch, you should visit me and you father some time. Bring Hannah. Your father would be delighted to meet her.”

I want to protest but I just smile.

“We’ll see about that, Mom.” Justin replies and hugs his mom. Just then Justin’s phone rings.

“Take it, Honeybunch. Hannah will show me out.” Mrs. Royce smiles and offers me her hand. Justin obediently takes the phone call and excuses himself.

I hold onto Mrs. Royce hand and we walk to the foyer.

“It was nice meeting you, Hannah.” she says as we get near the front door.

“It was an honor, Mrs. Royce.”

“About what I said earlier, don’t think too much about it. Justin will tell in you in time.” Her blue eyes shine with conviction. “I know he will…because it’s you.”

I frown but she doesn’t elaborate further and I open the front door for her. Outside, a man in a black suit is readily waiting and I could tell he is Mrs. Royce’s driver or bodyguard.

An hour later, I am back at my apartment after Justin drove me over. I was pretending all the way here that nothing’s bothering me but the truth is, my mind is in a haywire thinking what the hell happened to Amanda. I badly want to ask him but I remember Mrs. Royce’s words that Justin himself will tell me in time. She’s right. I cannot force Justin to tell me something about his past.

And then reality hits me. In fact, in the first place I shouldn’t be asking anything about him. Our relationship clearly states my boundaries. I am just a mere woman whom he pays for his lustful leisure interests.

I sigh and went over to my kitchen for a glass of water. All this thinking is making me stressed. Just then, my phone beeps and Amber’s name pops out.

“Hi!” I greet her trying to sound enthusiastic.

“Hey, Hannah. Don’t tell me you forgot what today is.” Amber’s voice contains an accusing tone.

Oh, damn. I totally forgot about it. we agreed we would go shopping today and have a small drink after.

“Oh, Amber, of course not. How could I forget?”

“Then where are you? I’m already here and I don’t see a shadow of you.”

I hurriedly pick up my purse and keys on the kitchen table and head to the door. “I’m waiting for a cab.”