Flight

I lugged my heavy suitcase through the airport, attracting stares from the people I passed by.

Yes, I'm only 14. Yes, I'm alone.

I dropped my suitcase off at the baggage place.

Then, I sat in the lobby and waited until my flight was called.

I walked on and the flight attendant smiled at me as I took my seat. I didn't smile back.

An older woman sat down next to me, and I turned and looked out the window.

Click, clack. Click, clack. Her crocheting needles clicked together as we slowly picked up speed.

I drifted off to sleep.

When I woke up, we had arrived, and the woman was tapping on my shoulder.

"Honey? It's time to go now."

I opened my eyes and blinked them several times, resisting the temptation to fall back asleep.

I thanked her and quickly hurried to the baggage claim.

I looked for 10 minutes and finally found my black rolling suitcase. I checked the tag to make sure it was mine, and then I was on my way.

I picked up my phone, and dialed my sister's number.

I waited. It rang 3 times until she picked up.

"Hey little sis!"

"Hi."

I heard someone in the background shout,
"Who ya talking to Honey?"

"Fred! You know she doesn't like it when you interrupt her when she's on the phone!" yelled another deep voice.

"I'm at the airport."

"Oh my gosh! Already?!"

"Yeah."

"Okay, we'll be here before you know it!"

"We'll?!" I said, but she had already hung up.

I picked a chair near the door and sat down, staring off into space.