Chapter 27- Hastiness Of The Heart

Dil Ki Jald Baazi

Hastiness Of The Heart.

خُلِقَ الۡاِنۡسَانُ مِنۡ عَجَلٍ‌ؕ سَاُورِيۡكُمۡ اٰيٰتِىۡ فَلَا تَسۡتَعۡجِلُوۡنِ

Man is made of haste. I shall show you My signs, so do not seek haste from Me.

- Ma'riful Quraan.

(Surah 21-Al-Ambiyaa-Aaya 37)

* * *

Haste is undesirable. (Man is made of haste. - 21:37). عَجَل ('ajal) means haste or hurry. The word is used in situations when one desires things to happen before their time, and this trait is bad by its very nature. In another place also the word is used to denote human weakness. For instance وَكَانَ الْإِنسَانُ عَجُولًا i.e. Man is prone to haste - meaning that he is very impatient.

When Sayyidna Musa (علیہ السلام) went to the mount Tur in a hurry leaving his people behind, he was censured by Allah Ta'ala.

Prophets (علیہم السلام) and the devout people who try to excel each other in the performance of righteous deeds have been commended and their zeal to do good deeds does not constitute haste and hurry because they do not try to do these deeds before their time. In fact they do the deeds on time, but try to excel each other in quantity and quality.

Here خُلِقَ الْإِنسَانُ مِنْ عَجَلٍ (Man is made of haste - 21:37) means that haste and hurry is one of the many weaknesses which are inherent in human nature. When a man is identified by some intrinsic trait of his character, Arabs used to say that he is 'made of that trait. For instance a short tempered man would be called a 'man made of anger'.

Daanyal, closed the Ma'riful Quraan; one of his favorite tafseer kitaabs. Guilt clawed at his heart.

He had decided to open up to a random page, and he felt as if Allaah سبحانه وتعالى inspired him to open up to this specific page to reprimand him regarding his hasty remarks and angry taunts directed to his wife. It was as if Allaah سبحانه وتعالى wanted to remind him not to be hasty in judging the current situation and to deal with this in a cool, calm and composed manner.

How Merciful is Allaah سبحانه وتعالى! Sometimes, He gives us the most subtle reminders, and directs us back to the striaght path. Allaah سبحانه وتعالى never leaves us in the dark, He never abandons us, He never leaves us to drown in despair. It is us human beings that fail to see these signs of Allaah سبحانه وتعالى, it is us that do not take heed from the subtle reminders and remain unbothered by the apparent signs of Allaah سبحانه وتعالى's anger. We choose the path of darkness and refuse to tread the path of light.

He really had to apologize didn't he? He was in the wrong, wasn't he?

Why is it always so easy to pierce arrows with your tongue and wound another's heart while angry and when the guilt kicks in, so difficult to soothe their heart with a balm of apology?

Perhaps it is your pride that stops you. Perhaps you're too embarrassed to admit you were in the wrong. Perhaps you don't like to admit defeat, perhaps you feel humiliated when reality kicks in. Perhaps you just keep giving in to the whisperings of shaytaan.
Whatever the reason may be, an apology is of utmost importance. Many times in life, you have to humble yourself and admit when you're in the wrong, no matter how embarrassed you are, no matter how hard it is on your nafs, no matter how humiliating it feels. This is one of many ways of beautifying your character.