5 Exposure

Ivy

Derrick is took me downstairs to a room. It is dark. There is a bulb hanging in the centre. Apparently it is the only source of light here, the corners don't receive any of it.

There's no desk, no chair, just four pairs of boxing gloves and wraps lying at the furthest end where still a pinch of light can reach. There are towels too.

If I think what it is. This place is a..

"Training room. A simple training room." Derrick says calmly. Do I look scared?

"You're gonna make me fight. Aren't you? You're testing my skills to check which place would be best for me in your massive army of men" I say more with self realisation, Derrick didn't move. He didn't show any emotion.

He must be a man with authority and experience.

Derrick is twice in size and build to me. He must be in his early fifties. He lives a tough life, His greyish hairs and wrinkled saggy face tells me so. I can also see a deep scar peeking out of the collar of his tailored suit.

I wanted to stay low and hidden, in disguise. Instead I got myself in clutches of some powerful folks.

They know something. They know something about me.

I launched for him.

My fist aiming his eye. And another hand aiming to grab his neck. My knee already in its way to crack his balls.

His palm fisted my fist and another hand caught my wrist which almost reached his neck. Almost. He shifted and my knee swinged back to place.

I glared.

"You've been through concussion and you're still weak until we provide you with a healthy meal." Yeah. Till now I've had light food which kept me alive. Not active.

But that's not a point here!

I narrowed my eyes to slits. "We were following a diet the doctor prescribed. If sir wanted I would've drugged you long ago to wipe that look off your face when facing him." He didn't moved nor did he made faces, just his gleaming eyes expressed his annoyance.

He released my hands.
I felt the hurt. My wrist is red
I never felt physical pain.
It's because I have become weak.

I let out a heavy sigh.

I never had been in a position without power or backup.

"You act on impulse, Ivy. This isn't smart." he is Teaching me.
ME!

All I learnt is that when I know that the opponent is strong and skilled I shouldn't underestimate him as Old.

If I had the strength I'd kick him where he will expect me to hit the most!

"I showed you here because this is where most of your time will be spent from now on." He says. This old dude never once slipped his mask. There is no undertone, pitch or bark not even a growl. I can't get hold of flow of his emotions.

I surrendered for the moment with a heavy sigh. "I didn't opted for this, you know. I'd be okay with a cleaning job." I wanted to continue giving him more details associated with cleaning and low-key jobs but..

He interrupted. "Beggars can't be choosers." That! Shut me up.

I silently followed him as he exited the place, locked the door and entered the elevator, we were in the basement, he clicked second floor button.
There are four floors this elevator can go to.
Great! What the hell am I to do with this information!?

Wooden floor. I can see no living beings passing by as we walked through the gallery which also had doors to at least 5 rooms, I didn't counted. The walls were painted in dull colour. It didn't reflect light, just illuminated the floor.
The oldy looks back at me time to time as I took everything in.
Is he wary of me?
Because I sure am.

He unlocks the door which was similar to others.
It is an office. Two doors, 4 windows, A Desk, 4 chairs, 2 sofas, a couch, a cupboard and a bookshelf lining its way to the end.

He gestured me to sit. I did.
I am not good at making deals.

I do the fist work, I'm good at that.

But I am a good doll too. So I sat dead with eyes open and hands in lap.

"I will not waste our time with formalities. You must've realised we know everything about you." My heart felt a beat but I stayed put, I will not act on impulse. "But our boss will only help you if you tell your story to him on your own."

Why?

"You see, Vettorio likes to hear the truth from the person himself."

"What guarantee he won't kill me?" I say after a pause. I had been thinking and he was observing me and I hadn't given anything away.

He doesn't slip his mask, I won't either.

"Can't say anything. Check for yourself." He shrugged.

"Boss will interrogate you himself, he insists. Don't lie, I advise." He leans over the table. He thinks he can harm me?

Well, He doesn't know me then.

"What? He kills me?" I say challenging.

"He tortures until you say the truth." He calmly says.

I had tortured many but it's been years since I had to be on the receiving end.

It was childhood then but I still get the chills.

He sighs. "I'm an old man." The cupboard behind him creaked. He continues, "I won't harm you when unneeded. I will bear your temper which I can see you want to lash out. But the man you will be working for isn't as least nice."

What he wanted to say is, I keep my temper in check.

I don't get angry!

For the rest six to seven hours he gave me other work related lectures when I informed him, I don't have any classifications and in past I would get a fake one to enter anywhere to which he replied, I figured that much.