18 Office

The old man had led me to the boys, I help them train. These are the on boundary fighters.

A senior lieutenant in army who had joined the mafia after he retired, after a tough competitive one on one with me, getting getting emotional and proud of me he told me his story, why he joined the mafia. "If my daughter was alive she'd be just like you. She was killed in front of me in hands of a criminal and to take revenge..oh!" He caught his head in his hands. "My wife had left me. Dark thoughts eat me from inside. No one to guide me, I never depended either. It's a weakness of its own."

"This path seemed easier at that time."

"I joined to save myself." I laughed, it was grim.

"But the boss is good." I remarked.

"Everyone have same reasons. Like you and me."

We were drinking water in the break. Other hunks were running or in the gym sweat themselves out.

I am a junior by rule but my expertise in overall area earned me privileges.

"Ivy! Come here!" I heard faint shout from outside the training ground.

"It's Derrick. Must be very important, if it's his call. Run fast girl!" He said in a panick. I spotted Derrick with a car, ready to leave. Everyone paused to look at me go to him and kept staring until we didn't leave.

"Why do you get so much attention? They get so serious when it comes to both of you."

I said once he raced the car.

Croaky he answered, "they give us respect. Like a leader. We take care of our own like brothers! Experience have shaped them quite well." He puffed his chest proudly.

"Our Boss is shaped well with experience too." I remarked.

"You're getting quite ahead of yourself young lady. He is not someone to be messed with." Like protective dad he went on.

"Anyways. From today we start your field training. I am taking you to vettorio. Stay back and learn."

"How? Where? What to do?" I panicked. I am not prepared.

"Just follow me."

"Okay. That sounds easy." I let out a sigh of relief. After Previous night, it's still embarrassing to show up in front of him, I keep remembering those filthy sights.

I have to ask him more details about this special training.

This was not outskirts anymore, he has taken the highway and to the city he drove.

The drove past the busy lane entering rounding the driveway of a real tall building. Tall like the other buildings I've been in. This was another one of corporate firms.

"What is this place?"

"Vettorio's headquarters. One of the legal businesses firm. A cover to hide our real shit." He explained seriously handing over the keys to someone else and I followed him inside the glass doors and looked back to see the boy had drove it down to the parking area.

I had shoes onn and black outfit, I had similar dresses only, Flexible. Which made me outstand in this business area. I was probably getting stared on.

"You should've told me beforehand, I could've Atleast dressed according to work." I muttered gritting my teeth once we were in the loft alone.

"I thought these thing don't faze you." He laughed shrugging.

"I do not have a habit of getting noticed either. I blend in. I am not use to getting ogled at. It's so uncomfortable!" Shivers I felt from those gawking men disturbed my mental balance, much I spoke, angry rose by minute.

"I'll buy all the dresses you'll need from tomorrow, so no one will stare at you okay?" He assured me, like coaxing an angry kid. I always get fatherly vibes from him. And it opens the wound I never knew I had. "Okay." My anger melt, and being sorry I nodded.

The 30th floor dinged it's arrival. I emerged from behind Derrick as we came out from the elevator, and from beside his shoulder my stature was visible, every worker we passed gave me a once over, the doors slid open to a larger hall with a glass wall one side and a desk and chair in middle, bookshelf pinned at the other concrete wall, splendid white couch decorated the far end for potential visitors.

"This is vettorio's office, help him with small tasks for the beginners and rest I've already taught you how to handle the paperwork. Once he is satisfied with your work you can advance to The managing department. Although I've seen you've grasped quick and easily for a Rockie and I've explained him how quick you have learnt in such a time. He has to see too. Afterall ultimately you're working for him. Working under me is comparatively easy but he is difficult." Derrick says.

I grew nervous. It's a field I am new to, and on such a big scale. It's going to be a challenging job.

I nodded at whatever he said.

"Good morning sir." Vettorio had walked in and the first thing he locked eyes with was me. He smiled. I did too. Derrick cleared his throat getting ignored.

I bowed him good morning too at a distance.

"You can just Shake hands here, bowing is too much." Derrick corrected and I apologized and approached him offering my hand to shake.

He waved his hand in a dismissive manner and I got confused. Is he upset already?

"Yes, sir. One more thing-" Derrick shuts up when vettorio had to break our eye contact to lift up his eyes only to glare at him. I turned back sad for him but he was gone.

He shakes my held out hand pulling me to collide with his muscled chest. I wasn't prepared for that. Scared my eyes find his anger, but he only smirked.

"Sorry, sir." The mistake was mine. Always be alert how can I lose let my guard down specially in front of him. What will he think of me? An incompetent bodyguard?

He arched his brow at me. "I will be careful from next time." I added, He pursed his lips. Not pleased?