24 Assemblage

In between those distracting touches and shuffles they both had fallen asleep.

The night sunk in a naps time.

The breakfast table was silent, Serena kept making rounds from kitchen to the table and decorate it with more eatables that could satisfy hunger of ten mouths more.

David's prudent gaze kept moving from ivy to vettorio, they looked normal. She doesn't look like she's in pain, then he remembered how she first came was brutally injured and still had that brave façade on. He looked at her parts of body which were visible since she barely worn dress that exposed much of her skin.

He found nothing. He cleared his throat, "So? Slept well last night?"

At his question, the sizzling and scraping of cutlery paused midway. Vettorio gaze land straight on Ivy. It was obvious David's question was directed specifically to Ivy. Yet, vettorio answered before she could. "I did."

"I was asking Ivy." David clears.
"No. I couldn't. I'll go back and sleep again. Probably see you at lunch." Ivy says and stuffing two cheekful of bites leaves the room.

David could only nod to himself.

"What did you do?" David adds,

"Disciplined her. She won't repeat stunts in public again." Vettorio said quietly.

David hmmed. Vettorio added, "But the deed's already done. The news must've spread by now. We did let three witnesses escape alive."

"We'll be alert. Do all in our power to not let outsiders stir trouble for us." David complied before he left the table too.

Discussing the next plan for expanding business overseas took the whole afternoon. The men spent the evening as well enclosed in the Gazebo, now discussing random crap.

Franco at this hour appeared with an invitation letter for vettorio, an unwelcomed letter indeed.

A spectical look took over Vettorio's forthright face. Just the symbol of the dark eagle on cross backed on coffin staged on dark cloud at the top right corner of the envelope, was enough for him to recognise it's from the boards of elders sent especially demanding his presence at the ball.
He had refused to attend three times already. So this time, maybe the last of request, instead of the call, it's the letter. He had to show his politeness too, he cannot refuse anymore.

Derrick took the letter, read and met Vettorio's uncompromising eyes. "You have go."

Franco was dismissed. Ivy coming back to her room from the shooting practice met Serena with a widespread smile. "Lets get you ready!" And dragged the tired girl to the bathtub.

The confused ivy was made to dress in an elegant black ball gown. Serena without a doubting glance or questioning eyes tucked a dagger in her her waist band hidden by the frills starting down from there. Two guns stuck in her thigh band of her stockings. A tracker in her locket, and in her ring. Hair secured with Razered pins and pointed buckles.
And there she was all dolled up.

Serena had informed her all about the night ball while she did her makeover.

Ivy had been to parties about thrice in her lifetime, through the vent and into the washroom of the hall of celebration. But never as a guest.

She settled in the car that waited at the entrance for her,

Vettorio's eyes went wide at the sight of her. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you." She turns her head to the window, a hint of blush spread across her cheeks.

He noticed her fisted hands. He figured she might be worried over facing a mass of people. She'll be ganged up by the gossiper ladies he was sure.

"Stay by my side at all times. If you do get dragged away, don't claw at them, resist for a while. Follow the suit, mix with the group. You don't know what they're talking, just giggle a little. Make an excuse for washroom or to get a drink or you found someone you know and excuse yourself giving the reason you'll be back after greeting another one of guest and get out of there and Find me and don't loose me again. Get it?"

Ivy nodded, "Yes sir."

"Call me Vettorio hereafter." He say before stepping out of the car and fix his coat buttons as they arrive, he opened her door as well and gently held her hand helping her out and into the ballroom.

By the time it was midnight, the dance began and the pair entered the hall. All eyes praised the man and checked out Ivy with scrutinizing gazes.

Looked like as if the girl was already the talk of the town. Vettorio tightened his hold on her.
They didn't volunteer for the dance, and stood at a distance, by the far end wall away from the crowd, but a man like him can't hide from preying eyes. He remain unaffected by the unwanted attention.

Vettorio kept an eye for a few important men to meet. He wanted to leave asap.
After the news of the incident at the hotel has spread, probably the elders interest in meeting the pair has only increased.

"If this isn't the notorious boy I last saw in the funeral." A chubby lady in peach with wine in hand laughed as she saw vettorio. His jaw ticked at her sight.

"Nice to meet you too Marianne." Vettorio hugged the blonde lady.

"And who is this pretty rose!? Haven't seen her.. not from around here?" Her brows creased as she asked doubting, trying to remember if she has even seen this face in any of her social gatherings.

"I chose her."

"Oh, haven't thought a man like you who keeps the world shut out could get a girl from town." She snikered. "Hello sweety, you can call me Marianne, you look Gorgeous. Don't mind this man is rude as hell, I won't hold back. Don't mind me Vetto," she just entered the gossip mode. And no interruption seem to stop her. "but this guy, I tell you my dear.." and she linked her hand with ivy, dragged her away, head in air and blabber onn. Ivy looked back at her man but he was already occupied, some other men entertainmening him.

Marianne took her to a group of five more young women, her so-called friends who upon Ivy's arrival threw unwelcoming glaces,
Everyone introduced themselves super politely, and then Marianne continued with her questionnaires, "So is he good to you."
"Yes."
Other girls too became interested, a blonde asked next, "how did you two met? As far as I know he barely socialize with anyone. This has been like first time in forever he's attending a non-profit party."

"Yea, where did you guys actually meet?"

"I went to his house." Ivy said quietly.

This revealation dropped in everyone's ears like a lonewolf's echo in the woods. Very clear and sound.

It shook the core part of their curiosity.

"How?"

"Just why?"

Two of them popped up.

"I need a drink." Ivy said hurriedly.

"Oh, I'll get that. Wait." The tall girl called for the waiter and handed her the desired glass. After a sip, ivy looked back to catch sight of vettorio who couldn't be seen anywhere near.