xii

Hoseok didn't leave Taehyung alone even though the prince was confused of why he was still staying with him but Hoseok only shot him a sweet smile before leaning his head against the wooden wall behind him. If Hoseok was honest with himself, he was incredibly fond of the pretty being sitting so shyly in front of him.

So he didn't want to leave him just now, also wanting to ease his tension a bit so Taehyung could grow more comfortable. It wasn't like he was going to leave anytime soon. "Why are you so nice to me?", Taehyung asked silently while playing with his fingers in his petite lap, too shy to look up.

The pirate smiled softly, thinking to himself for a moment before he answered. "You're a prince and for sure not used to all of this", the black haired male spoke up. Taehyung's puppy eyes shortly confused him before he focused back on his next words. "Pirates are ruthless, we aren't soft and nice, not even among ourselves. The sea is rough and so are we. I simply want to warn you because not everyone is nice like me, you've seen it before. I'm just saying that you shouldn't count on anyone other than yourself. You'll only get hurt otherwise. I'm nice to you because you did nothing to deserve all of this", Hoseok said gently.

"Nobody from us is here willingly, we all searched for some kind of escape, y'know. And we're all hiding from something, even from ourselves", Hoseok said, his mind dazing of back to what he left before he shook his head with a little smile. "You might be a prince where you come from, but in this hierarchy, you're nothing until you prove yourself otherwise, until you prove that you are something. You're as important as you make yourself."

The harsh words sent shivers down Taehyung's spine. He has been protected all for his life, living in the palace of the royal family, protected by guards and he never learned how to show himself worthy as his mere presence was in the kingdom. He was the heir to the throne yet he never felt this powerless before when his father announced his engagement.

"I'll try to make use of your words and will accept this warning", Taehyung said with a little nod of his head, just when the cabin door opened to reveal the one who started all of his misery. "Hoseok, get out now", Jeongguk ordered monotonously while loosening his shirt, his eyes not fixed on the two men in his cabin.

The second mate was quick to jump on his feet, giving the little prince a short but reassuring smile before disappearing through the door and shutting it close. Hoseok exhaled deeply, heart aching from the thought to leave Taehyung alone with Jeongguk but he set faith in his captain, he knew him by heart. And he knew that Jeongguk wasn't a bad man, just having some issues himself but once you would break through his shell, he was a caring, sweet man.

Jeongguk at first didn't spare the captured prince not a glance, loosening the cords of his shirt to make himself more comfortably, brown hair tied back into a bun but the knot was already loose so brownish strands framed his face. He looked exhausted, with deep rings under his eyes but Taehyung only looked away rather to show pity.

After all, Jeongguk has been nothing but an asshole to him.

"How's your cheek?", the sudden question surprised Taehyung when he looked up, black curled hair falling into his almond eyes while he looked shocked up to the pirate. Jeongguk sighed, ruffling his hair with a rather aggressive movement of his hand before turning away from the little beauty sitting on the corner of his bed.

"I cannot apologize for Wooyoung's doing as it was his but I apologize for treating you badly before. I did not want to bring harm like that onto you so forgive me my rough appearance", Jeongguk's velvety voice sounded genuine which confused Taehyung even more. "Why should I forgive you? You killed the entire crew of my ship, kidnapped and hurt me. You treat me like scum yet you don't even know me", Taehyung spoke up quietly, afraid to break the calm posture of the pirate again.

Jeongguk whipped around, staring at the pretty male in thought. Taehyung indeed has been nothing like the spoiled princes he has been surrounded with. Sure, his clothing was from noble quality and he looked well fed and behaved, his posture flawless and his face from no blemishes. Yet he wasn't giving Jeongguk any attitude rather than an elegant sign of royalty but nothing too threatening.

He wasn't rubbing his title into Jeongguk's face, didn't call himself superior just because he was from royal blood. No, he was well composed, if one ignored the angry outbursts and even polite in a calming way.

"All royals do is complain anyways. You're alive, you're rather unharmed and you weren't raped until now. So you should be grateful", Jeongguk couldn't stop his pirate tongue from slipping, used to the roughness under his crew so he was surprised to the surprised flash of hurt in the beauty's eyes and Taehyung turned his head.

"Grateful for something that shouldn't even be questioned. You're simply showing to me that you behave like the animals you're said to be, not how you demand to be treated. All I want is equal respect, if you're giving me respect, I will offer you the same, regardless if you're pirate or not. Every human has the same rights", Taehyung exclaimed quietly which surprised Jeongguk.

He has never heard a royal speak about 'lower' ranks like this, not even the word mentioned in the same sentence as pirates. It was a premiere. And that was coming from the little beauty he thought was a spoiled brat.

Maybe Jeongguk was wrong in this case.

"You can take the bed, I'm sleeping on the spare mattress", Jeongguk bit out roughly before turning away again, stalking towards the small cabinet to yank another mattress, thin blanket and pillow out of its store.

Taehyung was surprised by the heated reaction but turned to lay down on the comfy bed as well. This pirate kept surprising him, even asking how his wound was.

There was a moment of silence in the dim light before Taehyung heard a soft voice, a mere whisper.

"Goodnight."

Taehyung smiled timidly, debating whether he should answer or not.

"Goodnight, Jeongguk."

~

Kinda soft chapter?? I felt like it was soft uwu

Ela_koo