Chapter 5: Babies?

Originally Posted: March 2020 (exact date unknown)

Edited: March 12, 2021

~

I left the house the next day to find a letter in the mailbox, informing me that my costume was ready. It suggested that I go to check it out at the Development Studio at lunchtime just to make sure that everything I had requested was included.

The morning that day went by pretty quickly, even though English was incredibly boring. 

The language just doesn't make sense? Why doesn't it follow any of its grammar rules?!?

At lunchtime, Uraraka dragged me over to sit with her, Midoriya, and Iida. They talked a lot— Midoriya was nervously chatty, and Uraraka equally so. Iida's gave the three of them a nice balance, and I decided it was better not to bother them. Once I finished my food, I excused myself to go look for the studio.

It didn't take too long to find, and I knocked on the door.

It was opened by Power Loader. I had to rein in my excitement as I looked around. I had put the support course as a second option if I didn't get into the hero course.

It's like an inventor's dream come true! It's so cool in here!

"It is, isn't it?"

Did I say that out loud?

"I did see from your files that you had listed the Support course as an alternative."

I nodded, feeling embarrassed by my outburst.

"Would you like to have a look at my babies?" Came an unfamiliar voice, interrupting us.

I turned to see a short salmon-haired girl with yellow eyes, who sporting a pair of steampunk goggles. She was wearing a black tank top, with overalls tied around her waist.

"Babies?"

She held up a contraption she was working on. "They're flying boots... or— I haven't come up with a name for my cute little baby yet!"

"That's..." I scanned the pair of metal boots. "Awesome! Are those... small high-power turbines to create high-pressure wind? To allow one to —quote-unquote— fly? That's genius!"

Her face lit up. "They are! I also installed some small weights to keep it stabilized! It's made of a special metal alloy that stays liquid at temperatures anywhere from -100 to 200 degrees! It flows in these tubes, so that it can also sense which direction the person wants to go!"

"That. Is. Epic! You know what you could call them? Hover soles!" I sidled beside her, to get a closer look as I spoke.

"That's the perfect name for my baby!"

"Oh, I almost forgot! I'm (Y/N) (L/N). Nice to meet you...?" I trailed off, waiting for the girl to fill in the blank.

"Hatsume. Mei Hatsume, the best inventor this world has ever seen!" (Bond. James Bond. Sorry, couldn't help myself-)

"Well then, nice to meet you Hatsume," I finally greeted.

"You seem like you're making friends."

At the word "friends," I froze up.

"O-oh. I'm sorry. I've seemed to have forgotten myself. I didn't mean to distract anyone." My smile faded as I politely composed myself.

"Would you like to test out some of my babies?" She slung an arm over my shoulder, pushing the Hover Soles in my face.