Chapter 42: Excuse me, sir?

"Ooh, you're punctual! And you've already changed in the washroom! Eager, are we?" She laughed.

She did a lot of that.

"I didn't ask before, but what's up with your costume? It's pretty dark! Any reason?"

"Actually, it used to be completely black. I changed it before coming to the internship."

I looked down at my costume.

It was still made of the same type of fabric, but the top half of my suit from the waist up was white, and cut on an angle dipping to the left. My belt followed the tilted line of the colours, and was now a mid-light grey that was accented with a darker grey.

The inside of my cloak was now a gradient of red to black, though it was hard to notice the gradient until you saw the inside of my hood. The inside of the cape of my cloak (not the hood) was decorated with golden scales, some of which were coloured in, and most which were not.

The biggest change was my legs. Instead of them both being completely covered, my left leg was exposed, the fabric cut parallel to the line of the white.

(This could be super ugly, but I have no fashion sense whatsoever. I apologize)

I wasn't sure about the change, but I knew I couldn't walk beside a hero with such a colourful outfit wearing all black.

I had also realized that black was for fitting in. I would just disappear into the shadows with a costume like that. I needed to stand out. Plus, if I really needed to hide, I could cover myself with my cloak, whose outside remained black.

"That's a big change. Feeling bold, are we?" She grinned. Her eyes scanned my outfit a little more closely. "What's with the detailing on the inside of your cloak?"

I laughed uncomfortably. "Don't worry about it. It's... a little personal. I'm trying to accept myself."

"It also has something to do with why you keep your hood up and wear gloves?"

She was attentive.

I nodded slowly. "What are we doing today?" I tried changing the subject.

"We'll start with patrolling again. The police informed us of reports of kidnapping, so we're going to be vigilant and keep an eye out for leads or clues on that as well."

I nodded.

"You ready?"

"Yes!"

"You're a fast learner!" She praised, referencing what she had been reminding me over the past days.

"I try."

We took the stairs down to the ground floor, and exited onto the streets.

As we walked, Ms. Joke was occasionally stopped by civilians, who chatted with her for a bit as we walked, before returning to whatever they had been doing.

The air around her was always filled with laughs.

But though it might've seemed otherwise, she was on alert.

"Ms. Joke..." I elbowed her softly.

She turned, apologizing to whoever she was conversing with. "Yes?"

I leaned over to whisper in her ear. "A man just crept into an alleyway across the street. Should we check it out? It's beside that general store."

Her voice low, she replied. "We'll cross at the next light, and loop around. It isn't too far. You go and check inside the shop, and I'll check the alleyway. But remember, you aren't licensed to use your quirk."